Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was a good race...

i picked up my dangerous dan turbo'd mx6 today, my friend george was my ride to PA from nyc.

his car runs strong... stock pulled 14.8's in the dead of summer, with horrible launches (2.3's for a wrx 60' is horrid haha).. hes still pretty stock just has some of the free mods (intake restrictor, hollowed precats, etc)

my mods: t25 .88A/R (not a DSM t25, but same type. DSM 25's have a .44 A/R) currently NON intercooled (dammit) and running 3.5 psi (will spike to 4.5 in 3rd and 4th.. havent really had the chance to boost 5th much haha) also the related basic fuel mods (pump, fpr, FMU, banjo bolt mod, etc)

spool up is INSTANT. i mean.. in first it will actually take a slight bit to spool.. but its spinning by 3k. every gear thereafter its giving me positive pressure by 2k rpm.

it also holds the boost VERY well up to near redline.. i haven't run it up there much.. not yet.. not till intercooled.. i don't know if it will still hold boost as well once i turn it up to my desired 7-9 psi... but at 3-4.5 psi it holds it past where i would rev it haha.

so heres the race.. just playing around on the highway.. empty stretch, slow it to 3rd gear range... we take off.. actually he took off, i counted to 3 then i took off..

i had overtaken him and opened up another 4 cars by the time i wound out 4th (well not really wound out.. but i have a self imposed max rpm of 5500-6k until the setup is finished)

:TUP: to boosted KL's :) this thing rocks.

and the WG has a custom dangerous dan muffler on it ;) sounds incredible.. also the BOV is just about the sweetest sound lol... i highly reccomend the turbo XS type S.. very nice and not expensive at all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
awsome..
have you/are you doing anything to the engine internals?? i understand 6-7psi is fine for a stock motor, so that is what i am looking to run, are u confident 9psi will be safe?? I did read a post on PT, someone maxed out the KL and it lasted to 16psi, but i think we are both looking at boosting at a psi that will keep the engine running for a long time..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SilverLS said:
awsome..
have you/are you doing anything to the engine internals?? i understand 6-7psi is fine for a stock motor, so that is what i am looking to run, are u confident 9psi will be safe?? I did read a post on PT, someone maxed out the KL and it lasted to 16psi, but i think we are both looking at boosting at a psi that will keep the engine running for a long time..
i know plenty of guys over at PT running in the 9 range for over a year, with no ill effects.

the key is keeping the intake charge cool, having good spark, and providing plenty of fuel (well, the right amount of fuel.. not just dumping a ton into the cylinders either)

i will NOT go beyond where i am now until i intercool it. The intercooler setup i am running (liquidf to air, with a LARGE resevior) will 90% of the time keep the intake charge cooler than ambient air.. It will rise to above ambient air temps only when im boosting a lot, and for a long time... but will still be within 10-15% of ambient... the drawback is expense.. its more expensive/more complicated than an air to air intercooler... but its not reliant on speed (air to air is) and its not reliant on outside temps *as* much (it still has its own radiators, similar to a tranny cooler, but mine will have small electric fans attached, and when not boosting, its constantly cooling the circulating liquid. I also have ice chambers planned for the track. 9psi wont be my daily driver boost. since i DONT have anything done internally, (yet) it will be my ice chamber filled, 100 octane gas, racetrack only boost. im aiming for 7psi daily.

fuel wont be a problem for now. i eventually will be going with bigger (but only slightly) injectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
that sounds like a freakin wicked car you got there. its sad to see that you totally destroyed that wrx, for him and me, not for you though. good kill, now you should find an evo. evo drivers tend to need to be put in their place now and then ya know. anyway good kill!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wrx6 said:
that sounds like a freakin wicked car you got there. its sad to see that you totally destroyed that wrx, for him and me, not for you though. good kill, now you should find an evo. evo drivers tend to need to be put in their place now and then ya know. anyway good kill!
heh nah, not sad at all.. its now convinced george (wrx's owner) to start modding... :D so we all win.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
blah!! turn that boost up to 7!! :D on the other hand, dont be a dumbass like me. hehe. if my car blows up non-intercooled, oh well. wont bother me any.

and i will agree with you about the type S bov. it does sound damn good for how cheap it is. i love mine. good kill my boosted kl buddy :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Nice run ya crappy goat hehe ;) I cant belive your getting decent power from a t25, I know its not the dsm turbo but still the mitsu's are rediculously small compared to other small turbos. I originally started off with a 1G probe IC but then realized the outlet was pinched shut so I ripped it back off and just used a pipe to bypass where the IC was. My design sucks and I am still running non intercooled at 6 psi and not having much in the way of problems. The plugs look decent and its not leaning out yet. All in all turbo 2.5's are pretty amazing cars, even the slower turbo'd V6's are amazing. I mean my car is lucky to get 230-240 whp on my setup and its still a badass ride! So props to getting your shiz worked out :tup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
DrBrown said:
All in all turbo 2.5's are pretty amazing cars, even the slower turbo'd V6's are amazing. I mean my car is lucky to get 230-240 whp on my setup and its still a badass ride! So props to getting your shiz worked out :tup:
yes they are!!! with a decent 7psi, you take about 2 sec off your 1/4 mile time. pretty amazing!! love mine, not selling it ever!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DrBrown said:
Nice run ya crappy goat hehe ;) I cant belive your getting decent power from a t25, I know its not the dsm turbo but still the mitsu's are rediculously small compared to other small turbos. I originally started off with a 1G probe IC but then realized the outlet was pinched shut so I ripped it back off and just used a pipe to bypass where the IC was. My design sucks and I am still running non intercooled at 6 psi and not having much in the way of problems. The plugs look decent and its not leaning out yet. All in all turbo 2.5's are pretty amazing cars, even the slower turbo'd V6's are amazing. I mean my car is lucky to get 230-240 whp on my setup and its still a badass ride! So props to getting your shiz worked out :tup:
If i had to put a number to it i'd have to say close to 200 at the wheels... (roughly whata friend's maxima puts out, and allowing for the weight difference)

i'm not sure this was ever a mitsu turbo - its a garrett rebuild.. has t3 flanges, etc. physically its the same size, but the turbines are very different looking (from the junkyard DSM t25's i've seen) ie: more fins on the exhaust side, etc...

also its changedthe effective driving range of my car.. i havent done any passes in it, but in terms of pure torque, it *feels* like it pulls harder in 4th at 4500 than in 3rd at 6500... it defintiely shifts the power band down a bit.

that said, i will need to upgrade ceretainly, once i up the boost.. after doing some flow calculations, between the KL and what the turbo can handle, i will probably max out the flow of this turbo at 10-12psi... while i can get the same CFM out of a t28 at a lower boost.

but thats a project for after winter.. I am happy with it now, and swapping wont be a problem down the road.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top