Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a brand new clutch installed on my ze. It was on of those ebay specials stage 2 yaddy yadda yadda. Any ways I just got the car so I could drive it up and down the road, and I just installed a new clutch master cylinder. The clutch was not releasing so I couldn't go very far. Now that I have the new master installed it won't hold. Any ideas?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm ordering an OEM spec clutch for now, I'm going to my fathers shop on Monday since he is closed for the holiday and putting the car on a lift. Makes things easier. Any ways any thoughts let me know.

Thanks
Nate

·
Registered
316 Posts
try bleeding the clutch system, if you hadnt done that yet that would definitely cause problems. also if you have the money get a southbend stage 2 clutch over the OEM it will feel much nicer and last a lot longer than the ebay clutch. my ebay cltch lasted just over 15,000 km

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it was well bled. Anyways my ebay clutch lasted about 300yards. I pulled it all apart and one half of the clutch disc was metal and there was debris all over the inside of the tranny bell housing. I got an oem spec clutch because it was faster and I have the tranny back on the car and I'm taking a lunch break. I decided to go ahead and change out my lower control arms too. Lesson here is DON'T BUY AN OFF BRAND EBAY CLUTCH. I will buy a real performance clutch next spring, but for now so I can drive the car for a couple more months with my ze engine I will stick with this clutch.

Thanks
Nate

·
Registered
316 Posts
wow, tough break man, i wish ebay would stop selling to POS clutches, sorry i didnt know you had bled the system, good luck with your car tho

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
damn thats impressive. I don't think I've ever heard of a clutch going so quickly. I've heard a month more then a few times but less than a mile wow.

I guess I got lucky with my no name ebay clutch. Oem type clutch for 90 bucks

I had about 10k miles on it when I sold the car still gripped great.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, well. I got some deal I bought a (supposedly) stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel for like $250. I got it all back together and run it up and down the road yesterday, I will try and get a southbend stage 2 clutch as eon_blu suggested. I will just run on this stocker clutch for a couple months untill winter. I also broke a stud on the crossmember that runs from the front to the back of the engine, so I will be working on that soon as well.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about centerforce clutches? I was checking summit and they have a stage 2 centerforce clutch for around $260.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
i've had a dual friction cf clutch for about 80k km's and it still grips really good. Its got a little stiffer than stock feel but is not bad at all

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Was that an XTR clutch you got? There's a local guy running an XTR Stage 2 and, other than a little chatter against the Fidanza (with an old face), it's been fine for a few months now.

As far as bleeding the system goes, I'm sure it was done right. If the system has lots of air in it, or even a blown line, the clutch is fully connecting the engine to the transmission. You guys were thinking the other way around, that air would cause it to slip, when in fact, it would cause it to clamp when the pedal was down.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't believe so, I purchased it from the seller ezclutch. The item listing was "stage 2, with 11lb flywheel". I will post up a picture when I'm back up at the shop to work on the car this weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
ehh. this is the only job i have never even wanted to get in to.

and its really the last thing keeping my car from being untouchable around here...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not that big of a deal to change a clutch.

if you are using a lift

1 - 13 of 13 Posts