Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: so i got a new engine installed in my mx6 and when i brought it home it seemed alright. when i let it idle it was really low rpm and sounded strange. the guy at the shop said the new engine needed some time to reajust or watever. i dunno if hes shitting me or what. what do you guys think it is?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its running at like 500rpm. and i dont know what else to call it besides "choppy" for the way it sounds. its got 109000 miles on the engine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
King6 not to disagree but 650 is suppose to be the proper idling rpm. Mine is set to 650 give or take a bit and it idles perfectly, 800 rpm would be getting into the start of a high idle I think.

Just my thoughts on it is all

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
ryden_40330 said:
check timing
Not a possible issue on 95+ computer as they use the crank sensor for trigger angle which is not adjustable. Yes, this applies to OBD-I 95's and all OBD-II.

Side comment, what part of RI are you in? I live in Worcester, MA but work in RI and would be glad to take a look at it if you want to make arrangements and can't figure it out yourself. :tup:

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Alein said:
King6 not to disagree but 650 is suppose to be the proper idling rpm. Mine is set to 650 give or take a bit and it idles perfectly, 800 rpm would be getting into the start of a high idle I think.

Just my thoughts on it is all
ive seen a few probes and 626 v6s (Kl03) all ideling at 800rpm.
i set mine at that.. main reason is because when the fans kick on they drop the rpm quite a bit. having them at 650, and the fans kicking on could drop it down past 500rpm and kill the car or make run rough for a few seconds before it catch's itself.

i had that problem when timeing mine, but im sure you could to 650

·
Registered
173 Posts
If the fans cause your idle to drop yoou have other problems. The idle speed is 650 - 750 with the car in gear for an automatic and neutral for a manual. If the idle stays choppy make sure the motor has a good cap and rotor and it does not need a tune up as old plugs and wires will cause the motor to idle low.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
shorts6174 said:
If the fans cause your idle to drop yoou have other problems.
Other than my 2g for other reasons, I don't think I've ever seen a 2g where the idle did not change slightly for a moment when fans kicked on.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
I believe the stock idle is defined by the factory as a range of 650-800rpm.
friggen crap... i have issues then... im idling at like 1250...and when the motor is cold, it idles at 1500 i know that is high, but i thought 1000 was a good rpm, i see a lot of cars idle at that...

maybe i should check my idle screw or whatever...

*looks around...ahhh search*

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
If it doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it. I think my 2g's idle is usually about 1100 (this includes a poorly bored 65mm throttle body).

Things to check would be the intake air screw and the throttle position sensor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts