Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put on new exhaust on my mx6 gt to add some horses and to make it rumble...(im not gutting my cat like the idiots where i live) but would i need to change from the manifold back......it has new pipes on it before i bought it,...but it is going to need a new muffler soon so i fig mught as well put performance exhaust...so i was wondering what would be best for it...space isnt a problem...i have free access to car lifts....(i take an auot mech course in school and my teacher is a performance freak more than fixing a car)....so i have the tools.....any suggjustion would be nice.

thanks

ratly

·
Registered
449 Posts
A lot of people have made custom 2.5" catbacks, a few have done a complete exhaust system.

If you don't want to gut the cat, but get performance, buy a Random Tech cat. It flows as much as a muffler (i suppose is better than a normal cat), for reduced backpressure. They cost a little less than $200 at lightningmotorsport.com.

I'm not really into the custom mods thing, so I'd get a HKS (~$500 for mx6, ~$400 for 626) catback w/RandomTech cat. I recently purchased a stainless steel downpipe, from another member on the board. So that's my future exhaust system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You know if Hks makes it from stainless steel?Don't bother getting it unless it is..I bought a trust exhaust system years back and it lasted only 2 years before the piece of shit fell apart. What a rip off...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
SS or NOT.

The HKS exhaust is not SS, but it really depends on where you live and when you drive your car if you buy it or not.

SS is nice if you live in rust belt area's. It will last a long time and perform well for you. The downside of SS, and yes there is a downside. Is that it is quite a bit heavier than aluminized steel like the HKS exhaust is. If you are not driving in the winter, or live in the south the lightness of the aluminized steel is a benefit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts