Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting an '89 GT. I haven't driven it yet but the current owner says that @ about 60-65 the front passenger side "shakes." I'm not sure if that's the right word. However by about 70, it stops. He said a mechanic told him that he needs a new shock and that he should replace the other front shock @ the same time. The owner also said that going up a decent hill will produce the "shaking" too. When I drive the car, should I notice if it happens @ a certain RPM or MPH. Is it the shocks or something else? Where other than the dealership can I get the 3way electronic shocks (dealer price is about $250.) I'm probably gonna pay $2,100. Nice int and ext except for little accident on hood/driver side fender. It lived most of it's life in Texas and Florida and came BACK up here a year ago. 138,000. Any input will be helpfull.

-Thanks-

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You can get the same struts as the Mazda ones at AutoZone I think. They are supposed to be made by Gabriel, and those are the ones AutoZone sells for around 150$ each. However, I would have someones take a closer look at the car because a single strut should not be so bad @ 138,000 miles to cause a shaking on one side. Make SURE there are no bent suspension pieces, the car may have hit a curb or rock at some point.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Hrmm.... I'd suspect an out of balance wheel or even better yet a ****ed motor mount. I'd believe that before the struts being bad.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My car had the same problem. but at around 18mph in any gear. Very annoying. It went away when I replaced the struts and springs, so perhaps the mechanic knows what he's talking about. As for struts going bad at 138,000miles, mine were so bad that there was NO pressure at all. Instead of having to push down on the strut to compress it, if he let go of the top part, it would just fall into the bottom. Completely blown.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Check the tires and wheels. Bent or out of round.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i would have the wheels balanced first on it. if it doesnt work it cost you all of about 25 bones. rather than changing the struts---$$$$. if you do change the stuts i would advise not putting the stock ones back on. they are pricey, plus you can get a better strut a whole lot cheaper. Tokico Illumina's are about $150, a thousand percent better than stock.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He said that he HAS had the wheels algined recently and he but new touring tires or somthing special 195/75 r15 I think a year ago. The guy was a mechanic for P-3's about 2 years ago for a long time 10+ years. Actually he's my mother's friend's husband, but I'm friends with the whole family. He said he'd feel bad if I replaced the shocks and the problem was still there. It sounds like I should look for maybe a bent rim or something, bossibly an engine mount but it COULD be the shocks. Maybe worth taking to a reputable dealership or an import shop to take a look?

Thanks for ALL the input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts