Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got my 95 MX6 and need to replace the headlight bulbs.

I was going to look at some of those blue tinted ones that everyone seems to be raving about at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a particular brand that I should be looking at.

I do need them fairly sharpish, so if someone like Halfords do a decent set that'll help.

Cheers

Russ

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hi Russell

If you want them to actually look blue make sure you get very blue ones ( sounds silly but stick with me ... ) Ive had 2 sets now one blue ( bosh i think) and they didnt eve vaugley look blue ! The other a set of Halfords own blue and again theyre not very blue :-(. Also they cost a fortune - £10 a pop i think. And the Blue ones are £20 a pop - too rich for my pocket.

Just my experience - personally id order some mega blue ones of the web and replace your blown one with a cheapy till they arrive.

regards

G

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like good advice.

Do you have any recommendations on a web site/brand for the mega blue lights?

For the mo, it looks like I am going to have to use some cheap replacement.

Russ

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
The reason blue bulbs don't look too good is because we've got projection lights. They just don't show up :(
Even the blue sidelights don't show - trust me, I've got 'em.

I'd love a set, but until someone makes a recommendation as to bulbs I'm not going to bother...

Ken

·
Registered
654 Posts
does anyone find the light in the MX6 not the brightest on the street, I find it really difficult to see with them at night. :confused:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yup, my lights are pants.

Don't know if this is designed in or not as the Mazda 323 of the same sort of era was critiscised in the press for having poor lights.

Think I might put a gantry on the top of the car with a couple Cibie Oscars. Very tasteful.:p

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've found that, so I put my front fogs on now, lights up the road lovely.

Will

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Real strange why you lot find the headlights dim, as the 6 we had (now Mike's ) I found had great headlights, we did put a better bulb in ours but never made that much of a diff, Mike what do you say ?.

Andy

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I agree andy my headlights are bright enough, only when going down a road with not much lighting there abit dark but in general i would not say there worse than any other moter on the road, better than them audi poxy lights that blind ya :)

Stu

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've just bought the Halfords Laser Blue bulbs.

I needed to buy something and the price difference wasn't that great from a normal Halogen bulb.

Will let you guys know what I think.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i've just fitted a set of Ring Ultra xenon to mine, gives off a lovely bright white light,a lot better then the bulbs that was in there. best part was they only cost £15.00 the pair from motorworld

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Me too, i find my dipped lights a little dim. BUT A WORD OF WARNING ref using your Foggys, a few years ago I got an on the spot fine ( £20) for driving at night with my front foggys on, i had actually forgotten to switch them off following that mornings fog, but never the less Plod dod me for it. I wouldnt mind if i was narky with him but i was very nice indeed, until he told me, then i asked him if he was bored. No i wasnt speeding, no i wasnt cocky, no i wasnt doing it to look cool, yes i was unlucky i guess.

Marty

·
Registered
247 Posts
Plod deffo don'y like fogs on when it's not foggy.i should know!! I think the lights are pretty good .You should try our passat now they are really bad and a polo we used to have . The worst of the lot was my first car a renault daupine 6V and basically a glw worm .....

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just came back from friends and they live out in a place called crawfordjohn and there are not many street lights out there and dark country roads and it was FOGGY and I had to have my main beam on to see where I was going. So I think I need to invest in new headlights or something, I have just got new bulbs in the car and ita made a slight difference.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Kimberly

Worse thing to do is drive with main beam on in fog as the droplets in the fog reflect a lot of the light back, the headlights tend to work better when they are kept on dip .

Andy
PS

I am so supprised that so many of yous are saying the headlights are crap, we only changed the headlight bulbs to a set of the halfords xeon and they where brill. never buy a Senator, the worse headlights i have ever encountered in a car.

·
Registered
654 Posts
yeah I know that, but it was patches of fog, dark roads, so main beam was on and off like a disco light, but when its not on, the lights are very poor

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
andy, you are quite right the lighting is good.

one trick you could all try, is ignore the handbook advice for the height adjustment for your lights. standard setting is '0'. park somewhere on the level and have a play with the ajdustment switch, i found setting 1 or 2 had better reach. this is particularly true of anyone having lowered the car etc. not too high though or you will be blinding the oncoming traffic. its also best to try this in the dark of course(grin).

also, with the weather being what it is, clean the light lens on a regular basis and perhaps put some rainex on them. even the smallest amount of haze and dirt will affect light output.

i use the fogs more as driving lights as a lot of the lanes i drive along have no kerbs etc, and the fogs light up the road 'edges' much better. i would rather discuss the point of safer driving in the dark with a copper than bump up the kerb etc.

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Personally, I think our lights are pretty good.. it must be why the yanks are always looking for European spec lights for theirs.. (they dont have projector beams)

Best i had was an old Kadette coupe, with 6 spots with 100W bulbs..... melt ya retina's at a 1000 yards @-

John

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've just got back from my first session out with the new bulbs. The light is a much crisper and clearer white light and lights up the road great when on a dip adjustment setting of about 2.

As for the blue... Well lets just say I couldn't see any. I'm gonna have to get someone to drive ahead of me and let me know.

Another point all of this seems to have brought up is the fogs. A while back I was driving about with the fogs on and stopped behind a cop car. When the copper got out and started to walk towards me I turned off the fogs. He just said I had saved myself a ticket. They really don't like the fogs on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts