Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im nate. i dont have an mx6 quite yet but am going to buy one so im kind of a nooby to the mx6 world. i plan on putting a KLZE into it then headers(port&pollish) and magnaflo exhaust right off the bat. Im kinda looking for advice/potential problems/cost of all that.

Thanks,
Nate

·
Registered
316 Posts
welcome to the site, its good to know there are still new ppl out there who still love the mx6. anyways about your plans on your future car, if you plan on doing a ZE swap make sure you buy an LS model (V6) otherwise it'll be a huge pain to swap from a 4cyl. but if you are intent on doing the swap right away you can try to find a car with a blown engine or a lot of milage just make sure the tranny and the rest of the car are in good overall shape. and if you are going to buy headers you might as well do them during your motor swap it will be much easier with the engine out of the car, you can buy some headers off ebay for about $150 shipped, thats what i got and you'll find a lot of people here have them also and are quite happy with them. lastly when you buy your engine make sure you get one from a reputable importer as there are a lot of scammers out there. a good engine will run around $1000-1500 good luck and again welcome to the site

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Putting in a KLZE depends on who does the labor. If you pay someone else to install it above the cost of the engine, then it could run you close to 2 grand. Headers are pretty cheap, can be found for around $300. I wouldn't invest that much in an older MX6 with a lot of miles. I would find one if possible with a 2.5liter V-6 manual transmission, add a 60 shot NOS system and enjoy. You could add overbored throttle body, underdrive pulleys, lighten flywheels from an MX-3, air intake, headers, exhaust, and the NOS and you will have a car pretty quick. Remember that the KLZE has 36 more hp than the american KL03 which makes it quicker but it still is no powerhouse compared to many of todays cars. You will get a 0-60 time with a bone stock KLZE of about 7 sec. about 7.5 seconds with the KLO3. Adding NOS will put you under 7 seconds and will cost you only about $450 over the cost of the car. Lighter wheels and grippier tires help too. The stock rims are close to 22 or 23 lbs. I took mine off a long time ago. The rims I have now are 12 lbs. each.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. how much would a bad tranny cost to replace? and will all the stock exhaust systems, clutch, ect still work with a ZE? I want a clutch good for racing but still nice for cruising to the mall type stuff. suggestions?

And on an unrelated not, i saw a couple Mx6's with a custom widebody kit. Is there a place that sells them or do i have to make them? and if so how much does that cost and how much work? or is there places that could do it for me if its too hard? kind of a car nooby :/

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Thanks guys. how much would a bad tranny cost to replace? and will all the stock exhaust systems, clutch, ect still work with a ZE? I want a clutch good for racing but still nice for cruising to the mall type stuff. suggestions?

And on an unrelated not, i saw a couple Mx6's with a custom widebody kit. Is there a place that sells them or do i have to make them? and if so how much does that cost and how much work? or is there places that could do it for me if its too hard? kind of a car nooby :/
A nice condition used tranny will cost you around $1100 for it to be bought and installed. If you do the install yourself, about $300-500 for the tranny itself.
Everything will hook up to a ZE. Stick to the OEM clutch, it has remarkible longetivity, I got 400k km's(/ about 260k miles) out of my OEM clutch, and that includes a fair bit of track racing too.
The custom "wide body kits" must be aftermarket, as there never was a "widebody kit" available for either the 1st or 2nd gen MX6. Pics would help towards figuring out the exact kit in question.
A completely custom wide body kit (with aftermarket parts stolen from various cars) will cost you about $3k if you want a fairly decent install, after paint that is. but like I say, pics would help a lot.
Any body shop can do that for you, its not that hard. Getting it to look good is what will cost money... but again its your taste and resourcefullness that will decide that.

·
Registered
301 Posts
it's good to see new people coming in that still want to make their 6's nice and mod them. I'm sure it's a body kit with universal fender flares that you are seeing.. they are kind of a pain. but very worth it if you are willing to spend the time and money to make them look good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts