Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going back to AAS, now that I know about the cheaper price from Fordpartsnetwork.com

But I have a new idea. I'm thinking I might just leave off the AAS computer and switch. Instead, I'll have some knobs made that will fit on top of the struts so they will be manually adjustable like Koni/Tokico/KYB-AGX.

Why would I do this?
Well I'm not really comfortable with the idea that a computer is deciding to stiffen my suspension when I go around a corner hard enough. These cars are old enough that the computer might stop working properly at some point, and I don't wanna try a guessing game like
"is it getting stiffer when I go around this curve? I can't really tell..."
I envision a scenario (with normal AAS) where I'll go around a curve and feel it tighten up like it's supposed to. Then the next day I'll do it again at the same speed and for some reason it won't feel like it's tightening up. At that point I would become paranoid that the system is fritzing out and it would start to drive me crazy (though it's all in my imagination). I want to keep this from happening.

Also I like to keep things simple, and when I did have the AAS feature I just left it on the same setting all the time anyways, so I don't think I really need in-car adjustability. I basically want to have the original struts, but not have to worry about a 14 year old computer module working properly.

Do you think this is a dumb idea?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't think it's a dumb idea, but, is it totally necessary? I don't think the scenario you're imagining will ever come to pass. But, it's your car, and if it gives you peace of mind, have at it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You'll need floor rollers like at Dynos, but you can test the system.

The computers, don't break too often. For example ECU. Aren't you worried that it'll break and screw up the timing or injectors stop, well, injecting?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Besides if the computer ever broke there are plenty out there for you to change it with.

As for he settings; there are really only 2 settings for this, soft and hard. In soft mode they stay in soft mode all the time. In firm they stay in firm all the time. The only one that moves back and forth is the middle setting (auto) and it switches between soft and firm depending on speed conditions.

Some set them to firm and then just remove the actuator from the top of the struts. They will stay there.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that in sport mode, it would go to super hard when you went around a corner. I seem to remember reading that in my owners manual.

Anyways, you guys are right. I'm being silly. Especially since I already have an extra AAS computer!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I do believe that the AAS has three settings. Yes Firm is locked on Firm and Soft is locked on soft. But auto varies between three settings. Maybe this is only with the second coming of the first gen. Becasue my manual on my 91 GT explains the AAS with three settings that the auto works with.

·
Registered
449 Posts
if I remember correctly--

Soft Normal Sport

are the three settings. Normal & Sport are auto adjusting, and compensates for corners/braking/speed. Soft is always soft. Sport setting is set to firm for 'normal' driving then when cornering/braking occurs the computer adjust a pair of struts to VERY firm. It's in the book.

Normal is set to soft for 'normal' driving then during cornering/braking the certain struts are set to firm.

Also when you exceed 50mph, normal goes to firm and sport goes to extra firm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts