Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2nd gen LS(atx) model with just intake, NGK plugs and wires, and universal muffler. Do you guys think I can beat the new impreza 2.5L mtx? because there's this guy near where I live who would always be in front of me (1 lane) when in traffic; kinda taunting me in a way by accelerating and decelerating. We never did get to a two lane together b4, so im asking if we did, would i be able to beat him even though he has a stock mtx and i have an atx w/ very basic mods?

·
Registered
231 Posts
if it is the new WRX there is no way, but if it a normally arperated 2.5l I4 sure, you 'll talk em

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
If it's the 165HP 2.5L I think it is, and an MTX to boot, you'll probably lose, but it'll be pretty close. According to Automobile Magazine, "...zero-to-sixty sprint takes 8.6 seconds with the optional four-speed automatic transmission, and it's a half-second quicker with the five-speed manual." (This is for the 1998 2.5L RS.)

If you are less than 8-seconds to 60, you'll likely beat him, but I don't think an ATX MX6 is going to run less than 8s in stock form (is it?)

Before you race him, do a search on mx6.com or probetalk.com for "IAT mod" and do it to your car. It will drastically improve the firmness of the shifts and can shave a 10th or two from the 0-60 time. Might make the difference you'll need.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips ppl. yeah i think i've only gained about 5 more HP with the K&N filtercharger and the muffler, which may not make a difference to tear up the impreza. But I do have another question, do yal think i should trade in my car evenly for a mtx?cuz this dealership has a 93 LS 5spd stock with 63K miles, i have a 94 LS with 89K w/ a lil mod. Should keep mine and just keep modifying it or get a 5spd and start from scratch? I would really appreciate your thoughts on this one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yeah, plus the 93 LS at the dealership doesnt have a wing. i guess they were optional for the 93's?

·
Registered
416 Posts
id say go for the 93, because 5 speeds are def faster, and i believe they tend to last longer, however, 93's do have some more probs all around, which they fixed in 95, but there's less mileage on the 93...........decisions, decisions, decisions......

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What type of problems? drivetrain problems? suspension?anything crucial?

·
Registered
416 Posts
rear brake calipers have been known to sieze, and also some cv joints have problems...thats about it, but also your 95 has more miles and an auto, personally, id take the 93....i have the 93 ls 5 speed and i love it

·
Registered
231 Posts
Trust me, my friend test drove one, and he is all about having a faster car than me and he we took it out and ran em'. It was a 5-speed. Out handled the shit out of me but in a straight line its nothing!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yo mazx6, did u ever beat that honda?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts