Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the recent volume of spam on the site, new members may no longer post threads in the For Sale forums. They will still be able to reply to existing threads.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think that is a very good idea. For example, when I was on MySpace, they didn't allow new member to join any groups, or post any comments in groups for the first week of your membership. I thought that was a good idea for spam, but it pissed me off that I couldn't post. I eventually deleted my account, and never looked back :D

I think that this will end up being for the best. However, it's going to suck for those new members who actually have stuff to sell. Can those members give the FS section mod a PM explaining that they have stuff to really sell, prove it with pics, and granted access to post? I think that would only be fair.

-brandoN^-

·
Banned
5,310 Posts
thsi shopping in bag 101 is some funny shit though LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Scooby said:
Due to the recent volume of spam on the site, new members may no longer post threads in the For Sale forums. They will still be able to reply to existing threads.
Awww, I enjoyed telling 'em where to stick their products. Sent a couple of carefully worded pm's to them as well. :muhaha:

They were getting a PITA.

·
Banned
5,310 Posts
where in the fuck is bag 101, and why in the hell would a bunch of gear heads shop in it lo l o l o LMFAO!!!!!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I think it is a good idea, but on the same note I dont agree with people telling them where to stick it. They learn just as everyone on here did at one point.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Scooby said:
the majority of spam seems to be in random forums though, lounge, 2g.....just everywhere. maybe something a little more drastic needs to be done.

·
Registered
337 Posts
seperoth said:
I think it is a good idea, but on the same note I dont agree with people telling them where to stick it. They learn just as everyone on here did at one point.
The point is they don't join as MX6 owners they only sign up to try and sell mobile phones and the like. Tell them to get lost and they don't hurry back.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True enough, until you start pulling a lot of visitors. We are averaging about 130,000 unique visitors per month. THe spammers left us alone for a long time, but I am afraid that they are here to stay.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Could it possibly be people posting in the threads keeping them here? I know its never anything about purchasing the product, but anything to see people reading the threads is probably positive to them. Maybe completely ignoring/immediately closing could net different results :shrug:

-Tyler

·
Banned
27,927 Posts

·
Banned
113 Posts
Just curious but how are you blocking the new members? Is it by the date they joined or by # of posts?

thanks,

·
Banned
33 Posts
what are you talking about blocking? to specific threads? you have to have certain privilages given to you by the administrators of the board to get to certain areas of the forum. for instance the "game" room how some boards have them, you have to purchase a membership to be allowed in there. it all depends on the forum board and how it is set up.

·
Banned
113 Posts
jorge21 said:
what are you talking about blocking? to specific threads? you have to have certain privilages given to you by the administrators of the board to get to certain areas of the forum. for instance the "game" room how some boards have them, you have to purchase a membership to be allowed in there. it all depends on the forum board and how it is set up.
I forgot to mention how do you block members from for sale forum. But it's answered now. thanks,

·
Registered
283 Posts
the only thing is it sucks for the "New Members" that join and are seriously in need of help or just want to enjoy the site but dont get the privledges some do just because they joined a month late or what not. I mean, everyone has to be somewhere...but I guess that the # of spammers far outweighs the # of serious "New Members" (like myself) so something had to be done.

That "Bag 101" still gets me, ever since asuna sent me the link8D

·
Registered
528 Posts
^^^ I seriously doubt any newb is going to have a question that is so unique that someone hasn't already posted about it here (unless someone wants to do an LS1 swap or some bs, then they don't get an answer anyway). This is my fav forum and prolly will always be because of the sites ability to keep out spam, the quality of the people and their knowledge of cars. If newbs aren't willing to wait for a lil while, it will be their loss.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts