Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

New to the forum, was trying to lurk to find the answers to my questions to no avail.

Long story short, I bought my friend's grandma's 1997 Mazda 626 ES V6 Auto with 58k miles back in January. It had an intermittent misfire that occurred pretty rarely. Letting off the throttle or applying more would make it go away. 3 months in, the misfire got really bad, so I checked and found that most of the spark plug cables were drowning in oil. So, valve cover gasket time!

I know I'm going to have to take off the intake manifold to get to the rear valve cover, so I was wondering, what other things should I replace while I've got that intake manifold off? So far, I've got in my RockAuto cart:

Intake Manifold Gaskets
Valve Cover Gaskets (including 10 little brass-looking pieces - I'm sure I'll figure it out when I take it apart but what are those?)
Air Filter
Distributor Cap & Rotor
Spark Plug Wires
Spark Plugs (there are two different Bosch ones listed - long housing nose and short housing nose - what's up with that? Does one bank take one kind and the other take two?)
PCV Valve
PCV Grommet

To repeat my question: Are there any other parts hidden under the intake manifold that I should replace while it's off? I'd like to not have to take it off again.

Thanks!
-bensho

1 - 1 of 1 Posts