Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just picked up a new project car last month, a 1993 4cyl manual MX6. I'd been looking for something with a stick that I could enjoy driving and working on and this popped up locally. I've got a fair amount of experience with Miatas (had a 2001 and a 2005 Mazdaspeed) but this is my first car without OBD2.

When I picked it up, it was idling poorly and misfiring between 1500-2000 RPMs. Now that I've tracked down and fixed a vacuum leak, two coolant leaks and cleaned up the EGR/IAC/TB, it runs well... Unfortunately something went when I tried to bleed the slave and I can't even get it into gear. I'm waiting on new master and slave cylinders.... so hopefully it'll be on the road soon!

I was pretty blown away by how clean and rust-free it is for a 27 year old car...

Yes, I've cleaned up the headlights since I took this picture!

·
Super Moderator
2,149 Posts
Hey all,

I just picked up a new project car last month, a 1993 4cyl manual MX6. I'd been looking for something with a stick that I could enjoy driving and working on and this popped up locally. I've got a fair amount of experience with Miatas (had a 2001 and a 2005 Mazdaspeed) but this is my first car without OBD2.

When I picked it up, it was idling poorly and misfiring between 1500-2000 RPMs. Now that I've tracked down and fixed a vacuum leak, two coolant leaks and cleaned up the EGR/IAC/TB, it runs well... Unfortunately something went when I tried to bleed the slave and I can't even get it into gear. I'm waiting on new master and slave cylinders.... so hopefully it'll be on the road soon!

View attachment 13014
I was pretty blown away by how clean and rust-free it is for a 27 year old car...

View attachment 13015
Yes, I've cleaned up the headlights since I took this picture!
Welcome from a fellow 93 base model owner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from a fellow 93 base model owner.
Thanks!

I've actually read through your entire build thread. It is slightly insane - and inspiring. I'm hoping to sort this car out completely before I start the modifications, but someday I hope to end up with a car that is way better than what it ever left the factory as, as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome aboard! I look forward to seeing the updates.
Thanks!

I keep forgetting to actually take pictures. I've done a ton of work already. This weekend was painting greying trim and windshield wipers as well as replacing the master and slave cylinders. The master had failed and the slave boot was torn with lots of corrosion on the pin... so I think it was due... of course, now I can't get the damn thing to bleed. I've tried pumping the clutch a thousand times, left the bleed valve open to see if it would gravity bleed and put a hand vaccuum pump on it.

If I can't get it to bleed soon I guess I get to take it all apart again to check for blockages. I really, really don't want to do that - it took me two hours to get the damn flare nut back on the master. (was much easier to do once I removed the wiper motor)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts