Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I just bought a silver Mx6 w/ 45K in Chicago on Sat., it's my first "real" car and i feel great about the decision! Now that I've found this board I feel even better.
I'm hoping one day I'll be able to give some advice myself (I just bought a shop manual for starters) but I'm afraid I'll probably be borrowng from your expertise @ first. It's a 4cyl. automatic (I know lol) but it moves and I think it has a lot of potential. Everything is stock (looks like) exept for the spark plug wires (I'll have to see what kind they are...are blue) and new tires (so I probably won't get rims for awhile. Other than that I'd love to hear some ideas as to what I can do to it - looks/performance wise. Thanks & see you on the road!

·
Registered
359 Posts
SOME IDEAS

If you want to get some ideas of what you want to do to your car just look around this site and look at some threads that have been posted. If you want to see pic's of done up MX6 just go to pic post. Check out in pic post the thread that sz SOME AMAZING PICS. Here you will see all kinds of ideas you could do to your car. Go take a look

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really getting into this!

I hear ya...I've been looking around the site, and am seeing some great ideas. Am thinking wheels will probably make the biggest difference inperformance, but something is leaning me towards an air intake. We'll see. I guess 1st off I'll start using better gas...not regular. Anyone know the best grade gas to use for these engines...or if there is a safe additive to use?
Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
GAS

Well for my MX6 I use plus becasue I like it better then regular. But to use super is a waste becasue it will not add performance to your car. It will just make your engine burn cleaner. My opinon for you to start off would be an intake. It suppose to add like 4 or 5hp and its probly the cheapest upgrade.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gas

I use super, since in the manual it recommended atleast 91 octane, and plus is 89, so I just get super which is 93. But I have the v6 2.5 manual, so I'm not sure if it would make a difference for you if you get regular, plus, or super; just read the manual and see what it recommends.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Gas

94MX6ls said:
I use super, since in the manual it recommended atleast 91 octane, and plus is 89, so I just get super which is 93. But I have the v6 2.5 manual, so I'm not sure if it would make a difference for you if you get regular, plus, or super; just read the manual and see what it recommends.
I have to use premium because off my KLZE. I would look into an intake and a high preformance mufler like a magna flow. dont get the K&N kit, it is a rip off.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Decisions, decisions

Journeyman...... The first thing you have to figure our is if you want your car to be modified for performance or looks. Obviously you want both but you want to find out what you want to start off with. Here is what I think you should start off ffor performance or aesthetic (looks)

Performace:
-Cold air intake with cone filter (if applicable)
-Ceramic coated headers
-High flow catalitic converter
-Cat back exhaust system

After all the above you can start work with the internal engine work, cams sprokets, flywheel etc. Then go to a good dyno and have them fine tune your car, then add a custom chip to work with your specific mods.

Aesthetic
(If you can, I would save up my money and then do everything at once, if not, do it in sets)
-Lowering springs
-Performance struts
-Larger diameter wheels/ performance tires
-better brake system (Powerslot rotors/axxis pads)
-Body kit and paint

My car is almost finished at this point. All's I need is a high flow cat and headers (Stupid hotshots still in developement..supposedly)

Good luck

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Well first thing you should do is save up and swap out your engine for a japanese KLZE v6, ( check corksport.com, etc ) 200 bhp, then add on!!! Small rims make for faster acceleration, big rims lower rotations so as to increase top speed but lower 0-60 times. so realistically a street driven car ( eg; green light to green light hustle ) would benifit from low profile, higher rated tires on factory 15's ( just lower it and get potenzas. I did, and it still looks good. )
But for now the easiest thing is a filter. All you have to do is pull your airbox and push on an aftermarket filter. That easy. Sounds good to.

·
Registered
136 Posts
hey, i have a 4cyl auto also..

THE FIRST THING I RECOMMEND YOU DO IS ADD A TRANSMISSION COOLER. our cars are notorious for crappy atx transmissions and a transmission cooler will help prolong the life of our transmission greatly (or atleast that's what I've heard). I just added my tranny cooler yesterday and the car doesn't shift rough anymore so I was happy.. it won't really add any performance but it will help you in the long run. transmission coolers cost about 50 bucks and you can get em at any auto part stores (i got mine from advance auto I think).. it takes like maybe an hour to install..

also, for the intake, you won't bea ble to fit the famous CAI intakes that people use on this board (Hotshot and PRM). the ATX is too big and gets too hot so I wouldn't recommend running aluminum pipe down through there either.. what I did was buy a ractive filter and hook it up to the factory intake..

anyway, for other stuff you can do, check out my site http://mx6.n3.net, it has a buncha crap i've done to my mx6..

hope this helps, and make sure you get a tranny cooler..

jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Everyone!

I am quite busy today, but would like to thank everyone for responding to my post...I now have a lot of ideas as to what I "need" to do, and am quite excited to get started. I'll get in touch soon,
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
hey attliea are the green factory dash lights or lenses can you simply change the bulb color and it changes the dash color or is the transparent part of the dash green

·
Registered
59 Posts
ATLien1222

How does the RActive go with the factory intake. We can get the same filter in Australia from Simota for $90AUD.

Does it improve engine noise, power, response etc etc.

I had a look on your site, but you had no info. Pics and info would be good for us ATXs.

Trev

1 - 12 of 12 Posts