Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys. I recently just bought an mx-6 in Nov. It's a 1993 ls mtx. As far as placing some gas in the tank, what other things should i look to improve upon on the car? I'm thinking right off the bat, get an oil change, oil filters, spark plugs, brake fluid, and possible the brake pads changed. I was thinking of changing the timing belt as well because it's got 141 k miles on it. The clutch still has a good feel to it, so i'm not really worried about it. I'm going to have a mechanic look at the tranny before i make a bigger investment in maintenance. The body's in mint condition, and it has a completely clean car fax report. I'm not sure what else, so give some feedback guys.

-=Blarp

:ewink:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
You are the man.

Most newbies on this site just wanna go straight to modden the car. You might also wanna check for codes, air filter, and any fluid you know how to check.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I dont really want to mod it up, because i think the car is fast enough, especially for my first car. Maybe after the summer or when i have a different one on the side or something. If anyone else has some more input to add, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
just bought my own 93 LS atx....im just tryin to get it up to running standards before i even think about modding it :) check the cv boots/joints...from what i've heard/experienced already, they are trouble...

-Ashley

·
Registered
112 Posts
keep an eye on your valve cover gaskets (vcg - your going to run in to alot of part lingo around here, these guys are freaks, lol jk people) first problem i had was these gaskets, i found oil on the spark plug wires right above the spark plug. From what i read this is a problem alot mx-6 drivers fine.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
6thInfection said:
keep an eye on your valve cover gaskets (vcg - your going to run in to alot of part lingo around here, these guys are freaks, lol jk people) first problem i had was these gaskets, i found oil on the spark plug wires right above the spark plug. From what i read this is a problem alot mx-6 drivers fine.
Yeah, the VCGs are definately a common failing.
On tyhe 93 car other weak points are the distributer and the rear calipers. (Not that I'd recommend replacing either unless they needed it.) But they are things to watch.

I like to hear someone doing routine maitenence. I know a guy around here that had a Corrado VR6. Was very nie stock. But he was burning plenty of oil. We told him he had to solve the problem first and then worry about other mods. Well his first mod solved the problem for him. He upped the boost by going to an upgraded super charger. (Lysholm) Anyway, his engine lasted maybe 700 miles. :shrug:

All that being said, you've got a great car. Fast enough for now, probably. Fast enough a year rfom now.... Somehow I doubt it. For some of us it really can become a sickness. And no matter how fast the car is we are always looking for the next best thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts