Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a Green 94' Mazda MX6. The interior is in Mint Condition and the Engine runs really good. The body is going to be a little bit of a project. I'm going to eventually be buying an after market body kit because the front bumper is completely smashed and the rear and a pretty good ding. other then that there are some paint chips and as the title says, a little bit of rust.

The rust is right at the top of the Windshield. There are 2 spots, one spot is about 4 inches wide and about 1 inch long and is ugly brown rust. the other is a little bit smaller but the paint is still on top of the rust, its kinda bubbly looking. I was just wondering what the easiest way would be to go about fixing up these 2 patches before they get worse? I plan on getting a paint job come spring, but i wanna fix this up prior winter...which is just beginning.

Also is it easy to find touch up paint for the Green MX6? I would like to fill a couple of paint chips.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I easily found my original Mazda paint at Canadian Tire.

If you are planning to get a complete paint job in the spring, one thing you could consider doing is just spraying some oil on the rust spots. It doesn't look great, but it's very quick and easy, and will prevent it getting worse. A spray can of Rust Check oil (also at CT) is pricy but works well. The danger of rust around the windshield is that it may cause your windshield to crack. So spray some oil in there.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Fokz said:
Can I paint over the rust check oil if it looks ugly?
Yes, as a temporary fix, but the paint won't bond well to oily metal.

The oil is a good way to stop the rust, but if you want to do a permanent fix that looks good, then you need to sand the metal down, paint with a good rust-preventing primer, then bondo, if needed to smooth it out, then more paint.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i have a similar situation with rust at the top of the window (cali car even). i'm worried that grinding/sanding it down might cause a leak. can we touch up the rust spot without f-ing up the windshield? and to ensure that it won't come back, anything else needed besides bondo and new paint?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Same problem on mine, i asked a friend of mine at a body shop and he said you have to get it all off or it will keep eating away at the body so grinding it down is a must

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Ok guys, what is this [shizzle] about everyone wanting to bondo holes? that will make it look ok for a little while, but over a little time it will look like [shizzle]. If you want it done RIGHT, its not easy. ANY rust left over(even the SMALLEST little bit) will keep rusting and it will just make another hole around where you repaired.

The RIGHT and hard way........
You will have to have the windshield removed(assuming you mean it is right up against the glass) and the cut the rusted part out. Then sandblast the whole area to get ALL the rust out. Then you will have to make patchs to fit in the cut out spot(shaped to the same angles) and then weld them in. But you will have to be very carfull when you weld it becouse if you weld it to fast or make it to hot it will worp the roof. Then you will have to grind the welds flat, bondo, sand, add some "icing" then sand, and then primer it.

The NEXT best way
Sand blast ALL the rust off, then cut the "soft spots" out, Then put "Tiger hair" fiberglass in the hole with resin. Let it harden, then put a SMOOTH layer of fiberglass cloth over it then paint it with resin(the smoother it is the less sanding you will have to do). Sand it to the contor(sp?) of the roof. Then use "icing" on it to fill the pin holes, sand smooth and then primer, and paint.

"icing"(for those who don't know) Is REAL thin Bondo, made for pin holes and such that sands very easy.

Hope that helps guys, if so Karma is always good :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts