Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 1997 MX6 and I'm already in love. It's lightweight, decently fast, standard tranny and sounds deadly. I'm getting into cars more and more and now I want to tune my MX6 and get some more horsepower out of it. Everything is stock, what steps should I take first? I've been told performance fuel pump, ECU, cold air intake, but idk who to listen to. What would u guys recommend?

·
Registered
128 Posts
You dont need more fuel till you're moving more air. I'd start with bolt ons that don't require tuning and go from there. Whatever naturally aspirated mods you make more than likely will help a turbo later in the future if you choose to go with the easy hp maker when the budget or time allows. "Boooost" v6s make good power with the right ring end gap

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been sort of keeping my eyes open for performance modifications myself. I actually waded through this entire thread, which has some good information (and some crap, but the posters mostly help keep you straight):

I think that I will probably start with an intake, headers, high-flow cat and exhaust (once I can actually drive it... want to get a few hundred miles baseline in after the DMV finally opens and I can put plates on it) and then figure out where to go from there.

Good luck! be sure to let us know what you do. (=

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes, intake headers good place to start, I've had my 93LS for 24 years and just recently added an inexpensive cold air intake, made a noticeable difference

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey everyone, thanks for the advice! I already bought a new exhaust with a 3" pipe and magnaflow muffler since I discovered my exhaust had a leak. A cold air intake was going to be my next move. Before I think about a turbo, I was going to drop a stage 2 clutch and aftermarket cams into it, as I heard they make noticeable improvements. Thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey everyone, thanks for the advice! I already bought a new exhaust with a 3" pipe and magnaflow muffler since I discovered my exhaust had a leak. A cold air intake was going to be my next move. Before I think about a turbo, I was going to drop a stage 2 clutch and aftermarket cams into it, as I heard they make noticeable improvements. Thoughts?
Seems like a pretty good way forward to me. Although I've not had a lot of luck looking up performance cams. It looks like the J-Spec intake cam is a good improvement, but the exhaust one is the same?

I'd love to know if you have better luck than I do in finding performance cams. There's not a ton of aftermarket support for the mx6, but I'm sure some of it can be found under the Probe and 626.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts