Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a friend went in on a 89 gt for $100, its a beater for sure but we wanted something to work on. So we tried jump starting but no luck. We noticed before that this computer with GE logo on it on the passenger side of the center console underneath the dash was disconnected. We have one male connection and thats it. So we plugged it into the corresponding female connector on that computer and it still didnt start. Then we tried it with a new battery still no luck, wont even crank, headlights come on but thats it. Havent taken a good look at the motor and electricals yet but i just wanna know what that computer is, its a black box with GE General Electric on it. Any help?

·
Registered
212 Posts
My first guess would be that that is the car's CPU (or whatever they call em in cars). Without it, not much will work (ie. sensors). It could be fried....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Umm, it should not say GE on it, but could still be the ecu. It should be a shiny (or not so shiny depending on how the car was maintained) metal box bolted behine the stereo console. If that is what you are referring to maybe try finding a junkyard unit and see if it will work. If you try it you MUST use an ecu from an 88-89 MX6 GT, the 90-92 ecu will not work.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
How big is this box? Could you get us a picture? I'm curious as I work for GE, and I didn't think they made anything for this car. I would guess that it is something aftermarket, maybe a relay or alarm module? Its definitely not the ECU (engine control unit) as that has several connectors on it and is made by Denso, I believe.

Does this car have parts missing off of it? You might have to piece it back together if it's been sitting at a salvage yard or something.

As for the no-crank condition, check to see if you're getting +12v at the starter solenoid (small wire on the starter) when the key is turned to the "START" position; you might have a bad starter solenoid or bad/missing interlock switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts