Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

New owner

612 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mm2587 
G
#1 ·
I have just taken ownership of a 95 4 cylinder 5 speed...... I would like to know what I can do to the engine?..... the motor only has 68 k miles and everything is in good shape.... so what can I do to it?

#2 ·
if you ask most people on this site who own V6's they'll say something like, buy a V6, the 4 cylinder sucks...its a waste of your money they'll tell you...dont listen, but it does take some custom fabrication and some serious dough in quite a few cases...but you might want to start with headers, high flow cat (or test pipe), and cat-back exhaust (not sure which companies make headers, ive never bought any), but go to ebay for your high flow cat/test pipe...and you'll have to look around for exhaust, i bought an APEX'i exhaust and got custom mandrel bent tubing from a local shop)...after that (or before your exhaust if you want) buy a cold air intake, they dont make them for the I4, but go on ebay and search for an Integra GSR cold air intake, that will fit on the 4cyl with little modification...something kind of inexpensive to do next is get a short throw shifter...dont go buying one of those 100-150 dollar ones, unless you want to waste your money...go back to ebay and purchase a Honda Civic STS(92-95 model is what im using) it should be about 10-15 bucks...look at parisifals write up in the PROJECTS section for the 2nd Gen...thats alot of the cheaper performance mods for our car...after that you can go for some looks with a body kit and lowering kit (go with eibach pro kit for loweing) and some rims (17's fit nicely)..after those little bolt ons you can move on to turbo and N2O, but thats some serious cash right there...with just those few bolt ons you'll be able to beat the ricer civics and whatnot...just dont start thinking your the **** because your car sounds/looks cool...dont start talkin smack until you can back it up...hope this helped some...and by the way, before you ask anymore questions on this site, search the forums just in case your questions already been answered...because some people on here will flame you for the littlest thing...even new people...peace...TP

#3 ·
that's not true... i recommend keeping the 4cyl... that way i can be assured to blow past you when we race! haha

anyways, he's right, most people will say get a v6, but there's tons you can do to the 4cyl... plenty of people popping up with turbo kits, headers, etc... with turbo's, the 4cyl can produce nice figures and can stomp quite a few other cars out there...

good luck

#4 ·
hmmm best 4cyl upgrade........buy an ls +46hp:D ........but seriously, intake/headers/exhaust is a good start, but any real increases of horsepower your gonna need n2o or a turbo, theres some turbo 4cyl that will kill a fair # of the ls's but, for the money put into the car, I'm afraid the ls is a better choice, If you can find a nice ls it really is worth it, at about $200-800 more the v6, the extra options,and the slightly larger aftermarket really is worth it, but that just my $.02 you could also attempt the fs-ze engine swap, rated at 170hp its a good engine, but the swap is very difficult and costly, engine itsself is about 1900 and w/ install, the turbo is probably a cheaper option})

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.