Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will take some day shots too later on. I just had the car out of the car wash, so here goes! I hope my picture uploading works.

Sorry for the big a#$ pictures, lol

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Sexy!
is that a nice new coat of black, with cream leather? i like that combo :D

i wish we were able to have 7letter rego plates where im from :(

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was done by a a friends father owning a body shop. I paid $500 CAD for the full work. There was a lot of rust on the car with chips and dents. They sanded down the car several times to get rid of the rust. I think overall, $500 is a steal.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I'm gonna have to talk to you as well when I'm getting my car re-painted.

:D

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
What kind of paint did they use, single stage or base/clear? If its single stage, you can't wet sand it and polish it. Also did they pull the glass out? I find a lot of shops are notorious for just taping and spraying cars, so all you get is a paint line and pealing paint after a few years. Regardless, it looks good, just needs to be flattened out a bit. It will take some work, but should look good when done.

Oh and for everyone looking for a cheap paint job....remember, you get what you pay for. Cheap isn't always better as you can get pealing and lines and runs. Anyone that knows what they are looking at can pick out a quality paint job or if it was just a quick respray. Sorry for being the "lump" in this thread, I just hate when people say they want a cheap paint job for the car they love so much and then it looks like crap when done. I've had 3 cars painted and none of them were "cheap." It takes time, patence, and money to produce a good paint job.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I4MX6 said:
What kind of paint did they use, single stage or base/clear? If its single stage, you can't wet sand it and polish it.
Is the factory paint job sigle stage or base clear. I would like to wet sand it and buff if posible. My paint looks lick poo and i'm tiered of buying $$$ car polish and cut polish.

P.S. sorry for hijacking

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Factory paint from back in the day was single stage. It can still be polished up to a shine, but not as well as base/clear. Take it somewhere and have it done professionally. I was a detailer for 3 years and actually now do it for all the major Canadian AutoShows for 9 different manufacturers, and even I'm sending mine out to the guy that trained me in the trade as he is a far better polisher than me.

One way to tell if you have single stage is to lightly sand an area on the car with something like 1000 grit paper. If it just makes the paint look duller, then its single stage. But if it goes white, then its base clear.

Reactions: kc 93'ls

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I4MX6 said:
Oh and for everyone looking for a cheap paint job....remember, you get what you pay for. Cheap isn't always better as you can get pealing and lines and runs. Anyone that knows what they are looking at can pick out a quality paint job or if it was just a quick respray.
Well, when you have nail polish (or something like that) acting as paint; a cheap re-paint of stock color is satisfactory.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
MetalMatrix said:
Well, when you have nail polish (or something like that) acting as paint; a cheap re-paint of stock color is satisfactory.
Yes it is satisfactory, but give it a year max and the clear will start to peal back because it will be rubbing on the moldings in which it was taped off on. And the filler used to cover rust will start to rust through. Then guess what...your cheap paint job now looks just like it did before it went into paint! So that was a waste...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts