Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HERE, Can we start the new post here? I am tired of going to page 5.... if ya'll want to.... Any replies to my last topic on 0-60 and quarter mile can go here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Congrats on the victory PreludeRules (or PreludeDude as I like to call ya), my sympathy to xTSTONEx who has let the entire mx6 population be beaten into the dirt by a Lude. He he, just kiddin! Hopefully we can all meet some time in the summer. We'll have to race next time you're down here in Birmingham or I up in Chattanooga... that goes to the both of you! Some day...after I get a turbo in!:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry to let ya'll down. The prelude is just a bit faster.. he had me even at the launch which i didnt really expect. O well i will try again when i get my new clutch.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I don't really know what the suprise is here. The Prelude has a 2.2L, 200HP, 156 ft-lb 4 banger in a car that weighs about 2950 pounds. The MX6 V6 has 164HP, 160 ft-lbs and resides in a car that weighs not far from the Prelude. With a 35HP advantage, it's not suprising, to me at least, the Prelude won. And, IMHO, a clutch won't make up the difference. Still, I think that that 35HP should have resulted in a larger margin of victory than was seen.

Having established that this Prelude is faster than this MX6, I'd like to see a 200HP KLZE MX6 race a Prelude. With parity in numerical HP output and nearly the same torque output, I'd like to see what would happen in that race, assuming equal drivers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Mike PGT dude, how much faster will a new clutch make him, if at all? I have no experience with new clutch work....so I don't know. Everyone i have talked to says that it will not improve acceleration, will just smooth out the shifting. Does that sound right? He got his center force double friction clutch. Everyone says it will not help, what do you think....just wondering....maybe it will be closer next time if it helps him.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i know you directed this question towards "mike 94PGT dude" but since him and i are on about the same technical level, ill go ahead and give my opinion:D
a higher tension pressure plate will grip the flywheel better, therefore more engine rotation goes to the wheels instead of into slippage. a slipping clutch is similar to spinning tires. so yes, a HP clutch is better if your tires can take it. a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. what do you think Mike?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply. On non-performance tires, will this make a difference? Will it get that much of a better acceleration times? XTStoneX's brother is saying that the MX-6 will be able to beat me after he puts on his clutch. I am saying a hell no. Cause, if I am ahead by 3 cars at 90, then how could a clutch make up for that much of a lead? It can't. Well anyways, tell me what ya'll think. Thanks

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
My take is this: even if the MX6 had a 4-puck racing clutch with a solid center (i.e. no torsion springs) and solid engine mounts, he'd still lose to the 35HP advantage the Prelude has.

If xTSTONEx's clutch is bad now (e.g. redline shift from 1st-to-2nd results in hopeless engine RPM flare like my clutch does once in a while), then, yes, a new one will help. He'll be closer in a race, but he won't beat the 'Lude. The cars weigh a similar amount, the drivers are roughly equal, the torque outputs of the motors are comparable, both are FWD but one has a 35HP advantage. You can't argue with physics here.

If he's not experiencing flare, is able to chirp the tires into 2nd etc with his current clutch, then there's not going to be a huge difference in going to a grippier clutch.

The improvement in going from his current clutch to a new one all depends on just how bad the current clutch is.

PreludesRULE, what model is your car? Is it the SH with the ATTS system or the "base" Prelude?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey PreludeRules much respect. I don't know what everyone's problem is, but you have a nice ride. All you guy's flaming the lude get a life. I own a 93 MX-6 LS 5 speed and my buddy owns a Prelude that car will beat the MX-6. The MX-6 is a great car (although not the most reliable) but remember it's not the fastest car out there. I don't know why everyones getting so pissed off, this is a discussion board not a board to bash the shit out of other cars.

·
Registered
158 Posts
PreludesRULE, I'm just curious if your car is a VTEC or not. Maybe you posted it before, but I don't feel like reading through 5 pages of trash talking to find out. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I consider Preludes to be above the stereotypes that have been given to Civics and Integras. These drivers are the ones who I see doing the most stupid things with their cars. If anything, we should just all be happy that our cars are relatively quick and nice looking. I think MX-6's look nicer than Preludes and I'm sure PreludesRULE thinks his car looks nicer, but they are both nice cars. So, anyone wanna start taking bets for how long this thread will go on for?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Mike 94PGT, it is the "base" model. meaning my car weights about 100 pounds less than an SH. The SH does handle considerably better, I just 1) couldn't afford the extra 3 grand, and 2) I am going to mod it for speed, so the little extra weight difference helps..... Yeah, it is a VTEC, the 1997-2001 models are all VTEC, mine has 200HP as opposed to the 195 of the previous years. Thanks for the compliments guys, I am glad to see that SOME mx-6 drivers have respect for other cars. I hate it when people think that their car is "the shit" and everyone else's sucks. I just like to race and talk about cars. But thanks, I think the MX-6 and Probes look awesome (personally I like the prelude better :) ) Be careful street racing. Later

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Yeah, the weight difference is what I was interested in. The SH is, in fact, a bit of a porker but the base, with 200HP, is going to be pretty quick.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldn't say smoke the mx, but if the drivers are equal and both cars are 5 speeds and in good condition mechanically, then it looks like the prelude will win by a few car lengths.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sounds about right.... Equal drivers=Prelude will win USUALLY. Stock is what I am talking about.....Maybe a supercharged MX or something would win by a lot....otherwise it is going to be close.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
originally posted by mx-6 LS
so you guys r saying the 2001 preludes can smoke an mx?
a stock one, yeah

Razor said:
this is a discussion board not a board to bash the shit out of other cars.
yeah lets bash the shit out of other cars on the street!!!:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok well i dont drive a honda or a mazda. i actually have a sebring, but thats beside the point. i just couldnt help notice a small amount of arrogance in the tone of the prelude guys messages. maybe im wrong. regardless of whether or not a prelude is faster than a 6, most people will agree that the 6 is a much better looking car. the internal structure of hondas blow a*s. they also have thin sheet metal. i saw a new prelude the other day when i was driving and i noticed that the whole right rear quarter panel would move when his bass hit, and his system wasnt even much to brag about. and above all, no matter how fast a prelude is, its still a honda!
my .02

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmmm

Well lets see here, Prelude's can beat a MX huh?
Well maybe in that case, but i Object.

About 3 months ago, there is a road called Tusc up here that everyone shows off their cars and races on.
I had a guy with a 97 Prelude Come up to me and ask me if i wanted to race. So i said wtf, i always wondered if a LUDE could beat a 6. So here we are at the lights, turns green.
We are about equal lenghts but then all the sudden i just take off past him. I beat him my 3 car lenghts. Both stock.
He also had the 195 HP VTEC and we are both Automatics, so In that case the MX wins.

Prelude Boy: is yours a Stick?

93LoW3RdMX-6LS

1 - 20 of 29 Posts