Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I'm about to install a new leather shift boot and knob. Does anyone have any advice on the finer points of this?

Specifically, do you know how to release the console frame that holds the base of the stock boot without breaking it? Is it necessary to dismantle the console or does it just pop out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
you can just pop out the black center piece with the boot still connected. It just pops out. After that, the boot is still connected. And I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
511 Posts
just installed my STS this weekend so i'll help you out.

first unscrew your shift knob. then you can pop out the center console around the shifter - its just held in with clips. then turn it over and there are four screws holdind the shift boot on. take it apart then put it back together. pretty easy to do.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New Shift Boot

Thanks for the reply Surfstar.... Are you referring to the long (18" X 6") plastic console or the 5" X 5" plastic frame that encircles the base of the boot and fits into the above console??

Did you break any clips removing it?

·
Registered
511 Posts
the console (bigger one) should pop out no problem, then the smaller shift boot, is held in by four screws that can be seen once you take out the console and flip it over.

i've taken my whole dash apart and never broken any clips, they seem to hold up pretty well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts