Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, been a while since Ive posted in here, but...

I recently took my car to the mechanics, & they told me, after looking at teh tires & test driving the car for a "Pulsating rubbing noise, thats real noticeable as I brake slower & slower" as I put it to them, anyways, after putting teh car on the lift they inspected the tires & noticed what they called tire chopping (first time Ive ever heard of that?), & said most likely my shocks are going on my car. Which I already knew, as I could tell my cars ride has gotten softer & softer since I bought it 5+ years ago.

My question is about what can I expect price wise, for a set of factory OE shocks, general price range without labor factored in. also if I wanted to get some to lower my car an inch or so, what exactly would I need (all the parts & components I'd need to do it, & general price range to do that).

I know a little about cars in general but as far as real technical/mechanical stuff I'm a complete noob :D

I'd like to lower the car a tad, figured If I needed to replace the shocks I'd imagine this would be about the right time to do anything like this. though it'd be another 3 or more months down the road, but gives me some time save some money. As I need to see about putting some money away for a body kit as well, another thing I want for it. as well as get some of those angel eyes headlights soon too (go the cheap route for new headlights :D ).

but any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

also if you have any good sights with great deals on these parts, please post (other than Nopi of course)

·
Registered
44 Posts
i just got all 4 of my struts friday on my 94 from advanced auto parts. i dont know if you have one of their stores up there but it cost me about 270.00 for all 4. they are the kyb gr2 gas shocks. i was told that they are pretty good. thats all the help i can give for you.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Lowering a car requires replacing the springs, so you are talking more money, and it sounds like you don't have much to play with.

Springs and struts need to be "matched" to work properly. So, getting a set of KYB GR2 struts (which are made for stock applications) will prevent you from using a set of performance or lowerings springs. You could replace the struts with performance ones (Tokico "blues" or "whites" (aka adjustables or "Illuminas") are recommended here, usually) and use those with stock springs. Then, later, when and if you want to replace the springs, you are on your way. Of course, performance struts cost more money, too... but at least this gives you the option to upgrade more easily later... that's what I did.

So, it comes down to money. If you can't afford perf struts, then you are looking at GR2s, as mentioned above. I believe Tokicos run around $350 for blues, parts only, and whites are more $$. After that, the springs (I recommend Eibachs) are about $200 from the TireRack.com....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thanks. If I can afford the extra for the performance struts I'll go that route, so if & when down the road I won't be "throwing away" my money on a set of struts that can't me "upgraded" down the road.

But if I have to I'll go for the "stock" ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts