Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying new speakers for my 6. I am not interested in making anything thump, just want to have good clear music when the volume is cranked up. The stock speaker in my 93 are crap! What wattage should I buy so they will sound great when hooked to the stock radio? The stock speakers served me well at first, but not they are getting old and dry-rotting around the edges. Thanks - Andrew

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you are simply looking to replace your stock speakers and not the head unit, you should buy speakers that can handle very little power but still sound good. You should look at 2 things. One, the Sensitivity rating (dB) of the speaker. The higher the number, the better that speaker is at using the available power. Two, the RMS Power range recommendation. It should be in the format of 2-35 watts or 8-70 watts. Look for speakers with the smaller number being 2. These speakers can usually be powered adequately by a factory radio. Speakers with the smaller number being 8 or higher really need an external amplifier in order to produce decent sound. I'd look for speakers with a Sensitivity rating of atleast 91dB and an RMS power range of 2-35watts. I have Kenwood KFC-578C's in my doors and KFC-576C eXcelon's in the rear deck which power range of 2-40 and 2-35 watts respectively. When I only had my stock radio powering these, they sounded pretty good--much better than the stock speakers.

You also said
AnDaCo2002 said:
I am not interested in making anything thump, just want to have good clear music when the volume is cranked up.
You probably won't be able to crank the volume more than 3/4 of the way up with your stock radio without hearing distortion. Here's what I would suggest: Since you said you don't need any "thump", you don't really need to invest in subwoofers, however I'd recommend eventually replacing the head unit with a receiver that has a set of 2 (Front/Rear) pre-amp outputs. Then buy a 4-channel amplifier that powers the speakers you choose at maximum recommended wattage. By doing this, you will hear unbelievable clarity in your music. I know I do and its amazing what an external amplifier can do for some speakers.

Here are some recommendations:
Kenwood offers the KFC-577C (2-way) and KFC-578C (3-way) speakers which have and RMS rating of 2-33 and 2-40 watts respectively. These sound very good and don't need a whole lot of power. Good choice if you can't really afford an external amp

Pioneer offer the TS-A5713 speakers which have an RMS rating of 2-40 watts. I'm not too familiar witch Pioneer, but I think that the Kenwoods would sound better.

Infinity is among the best, in my opinion, and offer the Kappa 572.1cf. But you would need and external amp because the RMS rating is 8-70watts. This would probably be your best bet, but only if you bought an amp as well to power them.

Anyway, I hope that this info helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the advice rdisharoon! I am going to check out all of those options! - Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts