Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a flat yesterday, but I don't have the money right now to replace to tires. The tires have to many punctures to close to the edge to be plugged. (Doesn't it figure, I only ever get a flat aftera big purchase that empties the bank acount). I need to get new tires for my car, 2 now and hopefully two more matching to complete the set in the near future. This car is a daily driver averaging 4000 miles a month, but will drop to around 300 a month in Janurary. Any suggestions as to what tires would be good for this? '97 LS 2.5

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you use your car to its maximum speed / handling potential, sure get the V rated tires (or higher, but they came with V rated stock I think.) You'll smile every time you hit a curve!

But don't expect them to last too long I'm afraid.

I'd love to have high performance tires on my MX-6, but driving 30000 miles a year on a student budget makes that kinda hard.

I have Toyos on my MGB and have been very pleased with them. I can hit a curve as fast as the car's suspension can take it, and the tires won't squeal a bit.

Tyson

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Am just going for some new tyres myself and am leaning towards the good year F1 eagle GSD2 but then again we get lots of rain in Manchester.

Depending what you want there is a tyre finder on the goodyear site.

http://www.goodyear.com

G

·
For all-around value... Toyo FZ4's

Last April, when I went to get my stock Bridgestone Potenzas rotated once again, I learned that the very inner edges of both fronts were worn into the cords! My tow-in had somehow gotten severely out of whack and in only about 8,000 miles had destroyed my stock tires, which luckily only had about another 10K left on them anyway. I got Toyo FZ4 Proxes for a total bottom line of $530 out the door (at Les Schwab's). They're 225/50 R15 87V's (speed rated at 149mph). I drive quite a bit too-- about 2600miles a month, and now have about 18K on them. They are fantastic!!!!!!! Much better on launches (still get a bit of rubber, but spend more time moving forward!) and a world of difference in cornering, and on wet pavement. These are in a class of their own compared to my original Bridgestones (even when they were new). There ARE even better tires out there-- like Goodyear or Dunlop-- but you'll pay a lot more for them. The Toyo FZ4s are definitely a performance tire that won't kill your budget. No matter what ya get, just get them rotated about every 7-8K and they should last a lot longer than the average person's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a set of Pirelli P6 Sport Veloce tires a few months back and they have been working pretty well. I have had much improved traction when it rains heavily, but still tends to slip a bit when it just starts to rain (of course, that is when the road is the slipperiest (is that a word?)). I havent tried them out in the snow yet...but soon enuf...

G

·
For all season performance tires at low cost, consider Dunlop D60A2 or Bridgestone RE930.

I buy most of my tires at http://www.tirerack.com and you will have a hard time finding lower prices. Sometimes your neighborhood dealer will match Tire Rack's price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts