Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

New to 626's

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  cire626 
Yo!!! I just acquired a decent 1986 626 gt with a 2.0 turbo engine. I'm loving it other than some small glitches keeping me out of the driver seat. Where can I learn more about this car. The 626 specific forums aren't a whole lot of help. This one seems to have a little life left in it. Any good links would be appreciated. This is such a cool little car, and it sure seems that the 120hp rating was a conservative one. What's the curb weight on this thing? Anyone do a decent build on one of these? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I own an 84 sedan where I installed the running gear from an 86 model japanese version of the car. I am pretty sure that you guys in North America got the multipoint fuel injected version, which means I cant really help you with anything do with the ECU and AFM....as far as the kerb weight goes, mine tips the scales at 1080kg...about 100-150kg lighter than a 1g depending on trim.

This is what my engine bay looks like :

mine is central fuel injection, the engine is a bit tired and is coming out soon (cough) to be replaced with a turbo FE3.

Ahh, I can tell by the picture yours is the multi point version (different intake manifold and different air box) with the vane type air flow meter.

Hard to say why the US got that version, when other places got the same one as mine...I dont know what they got in Europe.

I know that the central fuel injection (like mine) was available on GCs in Japan back when it was released in 1983, the turbo option was available (non intercooled) I think in 84.
Here in Australia we didnt get the turbo version until the GC II in 1985, ours was non intercooled also.
Maybe Mazda made the Multipoint one specifically for the US market purely due to california emission regulations.

as for what modifications you can do....probably an intercooler would be a good start.
I dont know how much boost increase you could do without running out of fuel, I guess you could lift it a few psi and see, get a wideband first. Other members who have worked on this version of the motor may know more.

good to see another coupe running around, I miss mine (I know they didnt come in black, what colour was it originally ?)

Also, mine's equipped with the electronic adjustable suspension. What traditional shocks could I use to replace these things?
normal GC sedan ones will fit.....you used to be able to get konis for these cars (that's what I have ) but I bought them many years ago. I dont think theyre available any more, but really any shock suitable for the sedan (non AAS type) will fit in the coupe.

Maybe PM eraezer he still has a GC coupe, if I remember rightly he was changing his shocks out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.