Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought this car and would like to know what kind of bolt-on's would be worth the money stricty for street use. It's an '89 MX-6 GT Turbo with AWS. Any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
While our cars arent as popular as other imports out there, there's still plenty for you to do. In fact, bolt ons are way more effective on our cars than they are on civics and the such. If you want more power, one of the cheapest and most effective mods you can make is increasing the boost. What you need is a boost guage, and an A/F guage to do it safely. There are various methods of increasing the boost ranging from a simple bleed (cheapest, but less accurate), all the way to expensive electronic boost controllers (HKS EVC, ApexI AVC-R, etc). I chose to go with a "grainger valve". It only cost me $30, but it can be made yourself for way less than that. It's highly accurate and I probably gained about 50hp from this one mod. Details are on my website under "mods". Other than that you can get a cat-back exhaust either custom made or by HKS, a cone-style filter, various computer chips, ignition upgrades. The possiblilty are endless if you're creative. On probetalk.com (the mx-6's sister car) there's guys who have them running in the 12's. So they definitley have potential.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It seems that the AWS version of the MX6 were quite rare, so you should have a nice car. Just be sure it is kept in good working condition.. there have been some crashes as a result of the AWS going out.

The mods there are plenty... just look at my sig for the things that I have done to mine or check out all the pics I have on my website.

http://manifest.iai.net

·
Registered
270 Posts
This car has great potential... with the mods I have I've run a 14.415, with the stock turbo running 15psi. The 4ws will add some weight but the times you could expect with similar mods will be close. Enough to wax any civic with less than $10k in the engine! I've got a J-spec turbo coming and can't wait for the results! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Wayman, whats the deal with the J-spec turbo? Is it a mazda item?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've got a Supra TT fuel pump and 440 injectors that will go in with the turbo. As far a specifics on the J-spec, I don't have any. I think it is an IHI, it is supposed to flow close to 300cfm (a little more than the T-bird upgrade). I got a good deal on it and figured what the hell! If anybody out there knows more about the J-spec I would like to know!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't have the pumps number offhand, but I will try and get it. It is a direct drop-in, I'm told. But I just ordered the stuff yesterday and should have the parts next week, so I don't know if it is a true "drop-in", but it is supposed to be! The Walbro 255lph pump is supposed to be a good high flow drop-in, as well, but I've heard that they are loud. Manifest- do you have the T-bird Turbo? What kind of difference is there?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I heard that the W pumps are loud also. Did you get the supra pump from Ben? If so he was great to work with, so no worries there.

The tbird wheel in my stock IHI turbo does make a nice difference in the amount of air that moves through the system. It spools up faster and lasts longer than the stock turbo. MAX psi is the same as the stock turbo.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I got the pump from Chris (Raw Power), I'm pretty sure no worries there. How much more RPM does the T-bird Turbo last, I think stock is done by 4800. Also, would you recommend the T-bird to someone looking to upgrade? I can't wait to get this stuff and put it on! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It seems to pull past 5K now, it really depends on what is done to it (explained below). I would recomend it because for a rebuild and the tbird wheel it total cost is about $200 at a place that was posted on probetalk.

I know that where I got mine done, turbonetics, you can either have it spool up fast (like I did) or you can have it clipped so that it will last longer into the higher RPM's. I figured there was more things to spend my money on than a "big" turbo. Thinks like a chip and such that will really help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts