Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I am going to be needing new treads fairly soon and am not happy with the current Dunlops which have a really chunky, noisy tread pattern. I have been told that the tyres are always going to be a bit noisy on the MX6 because of the cars design, but I'd like to get them as quiet as possible.

I am not loyal to any particular brand, I just want to hear of any good experiences rather than trying to pick based on what the salesperson wants to sell me :D

Have most people stuck with the 205/55? I'm not ready (read: financial) for new rims yet so I am looking for 15" tyres and am willing to try 215/50 (will make the speedo 1.7% too fast)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
886 Posts
A few weeks ago I got some new Yokohama A539 tyres (205/55/15) from Bob Jane in Box Hill. These tyres have just been recently released, and I can honestly say they're the best tyres I've driven on. I previously had Dunlop W1s, and the original RE71s before them, and the 539 has the same turn in response in the dry, and absolutely brilliant grip in the wet (tested this week in Melbourne's 100mm downpour). I paid $174 each, which I think is quite resonable, but like most Yokohamas, it'll probably have a short life due to the soft compound.

·
Registered
621 Posts
That's good news Losiho...

I found Bob Jane in Box Hill quite good when I got my car "slammed" last year but the best tyres they had were those Dunlop you and 6girl had/have.

The grip in the wet is not good. Now, all I have to do is lots of burn-outs so I can justify the new tyres to the company accountant!

I've seen a couple of cars here with exotic tyres (pirelli and continental), any feedback from those guys would help.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I was quite happy with Box Hill BJ, they were cheaper, more professional and more courteous than Doncaster BJ just a couple of blocks away. Dry grip was good with the W1s, but like you said, they were atrocious in the wet. With the 539s, I can punt the car around 2nd gear corners in the wet under full throttle and get no wheelspin. With the W1s I'd be heading off into the scenery (and very nearly did on a few occasions). I also considered Pirelli P600s but they have an "indifferent" reputation, and I considered Michelin MXV3As (old technology, not really a performance tyre) but both euro brands were considerably more than the Yokies ($220 for the MXV3As, $235 for the P600s).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Although I've heard bad comments from elswhere.

I've had two sets of Falkens (mine were ZR16's) I got 47000K from each set (two MX6's).

No problems, nice straight walls. Uni-directional but noise not bad.
I guess your'e in Vic, 6 girl? If not I can advise re: outlets for tyres.

P.S So glad I found this forum, Iv'e only been chatting with the Yanks till now. Love to meet other 6ers for a run.

(Steve)

6girl said:
Guys, I am going to be needing new treads fairly soon and am not happy with the current Dunlops which have a really chunky, noisy tread pattern. I have been told that the tyres are always going to be a bit noisy on the MX6 because of the cars design, but I'd like to get them as quiet as possible.

I am not loyal to any particular brand, I just want to hear of any good experiences rather than trying to pick based on what the salesperson wants to sell me :D

Have most people stuck with the 205/55? I'm not ready (read: financial) for new rims yet so I am looking for 15" tyres and am willing to try 215/50 (will make the speedo 1.7% too fast)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the Aussie board 4WSboy and thanks for the tip on Falkens - I will certainly look into both the Falkens and the Yokies.

I'm actually located in Canberra, not Vic like the majority of others posting on this forum. If you know of any tyre places in Sydney that are good value then I would certainly consider coming up for the weekend and grabbing a set.

With regards to meeting up with other MX6ers for a run you might was to check out the Probe/MX-6 club at http://www.aus-cartalk.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=1 as they tend to organise a fair few meets around the place. I think from memory there is one coming up in Sydney soon.

Cheers

6girl (Mel)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ive got the Pirelli P600's on my MX6, and ive found they are great.

As for tyre noise, They arent too bad but im looking at getting Yokohamas in the near future. (Ive got family who just started working for them so my tyres are going to come cheap).

Just out of curiosity what is the largest width that can be put on comfortably on the MX6 215's or 225's????

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My understanding is that 215's are the widest possible without compromising sidewall strength.

I was thinking of getting 215/50 instead of 205/55 - using that Miata tyre calculator (http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html) I figured out that the wider tyre would make the speedo 1.7% too fast - which is fine.

However I think I will just stick with the 205/55 combination as I think the 6 is such a great handling car and I would never want to affect that just for the sake of nicer looking tyres.

·
Registered
672 Posts
1.7% isnt a big difference...if you look at it this way @ 100km/h you would be realisticly be doin 101.7km/h and the police force give a 2-4km margine of error when looking at speeding motorists.

Im trying to figure out how can a wider tyre make the the speedo 1.7% out??? Isnt it the height of the tyre that would you that??

I know when changing from 15" to 16" or 17" rims its recommended to recalibrate the speedo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's both the width and the height that make a difference or rather the ratio of the width to the height. If you decreased the profile but didn't increase the width (e.g. going from 205/55 to 205/50) there would be a greater error with the speedo - in this case 3.4% compared with 1.7% if you increased the width of the tyre to 215.

Going from 205/55 to 225/50 would actually be perfect as far as the speedo is concerned (it would be 0.08% too fast), but as I mentioned earlier I think 225 might compromise handling for our stock (6 1/2 inch?) rims.

Increasing your rims size doesn't mean you would have to recalibrate your speedo - it depends on the tyre size. 16 inch rims with 225/45 tyres would make next to no difference to our speedo (0.3% too slow)

Well, that's how I see it anyhow :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Getting 16" 17" or higher and having 45's as a profile i dont see the logic maybe im one who likes to have the lowest profile available on a large rim size.

Thats why Ide recommend recalibration.

But when I was asking about how wide a tyre we could put on I was actually asking how wide can you go before the tyre begins to get in the way (while turning of rear wheels??)

Do I make sense??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, for sure if you want to have a lower profile than 45 on 16's or 40 on 17's then you could get the speedo recalibrated. I like the look of low profile tyres but maybe not to the extent you're talking about - I also value a smooth ride :D

I see now what you mean about the tyre width - I thought you were asking how wide we could go on standard rims. Unfortunately as I have standard rims I couldn't tell you how wide you can go before it rubs.

Hopefully someone else like NinjaDust77 (I think he has 18" wheels) can tell you.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ive still got my stock 15" wheels but am thinking of getting wider tyres. I know you can get 225s for the 15" i am tempted to try them out...

But want to know if i should

·
Registered
61 Posts
.....I see now what you mean about the tyre width - I thought you were asking how wide we could go on standard rims. Unfortunately as I have standard rims I couldn't tell you how wide you can go before it rubs.

Hopefully someone else like NinjaDust77 (I think he has 18" wheels) can tell you....
well my 18" are actually 7" wide as far as i can see it looks like we can add another 1/2" on all four, our wheel wells R pretty large, i dont think that there will be that much of a prob puttin in 7'1/2", 18" rims ..... :E

·
Registered
61 Posts
it aint a good pik but here is the 18z (i hope this works)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Well I also just realised a car can have shorter width tyres and still have problems.

It also depends on the type of rim you have....

Deep dish rims are diff. to other rims, the rim width may be 7" but if its deep dish or not is going to make a difference on if you will get tyre rub also.

Thats why when buying rims and tyres you got to make sure you do it right otherwise your farked!!

Ive even noticed people put spacers on the rims to pull them out a little so they dont sit so inwards. But im sceptical to putting foreign objects on the wheels/rims

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ive even noticed people put spacers on the rims to pull them out a little so they dont sit so inwards. But im sceptical to putting foreign objects on the wheels/rims

yeah i know what u mean FX, its actually NOT advised to put spacers on ur wheel if they arent welded on, Iv been told it is very dangerous.....

G

·
0 Posts
FYI I am running P6000 M&S on my Probe (225 x 16). They are a little noisy (but don't let go) but nothing comes close to wet grip. Were about A$225.00 each fitted about 12 months ago, so not cheap but I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks a lot for the welcome 6girl.

It was a local Bob Jane T Mart where I have been buying all my tyres for the last few years. (Brookvale Sydney).

Re the other question about width. Mine are 7.5" and no problem and I know another guy is running 8" rims.

I guess it all depends on the offset of the wheel, mine is mostly inwards as most seem to be these days.

I don't think there would be a rubbing problem unless the car was radically lowered, i.e. over 2". The 8" guy had his lowered 2".

Sorry, just realised the width point wasn't yours oh well.

I know you don't want to go too low (or expensive!)but I think you'd be happy with the ride of a 16" rim. The tyres I have are Falken ZR 16's 225X45 which keeps it in spec and the car is lowered 26mm on King coil springs, which from memory was less than $500 for all four.

see ya
4wsb

6girl said:
It's both the width and the height that make a difference or rather the ratio of the width to the height. If you decreased the profile but didn't increase the width (e.g. going from 205/55 to 205/50) there would be a greater error with the speedo - in this case 3.4% compared with 1.7% if you increased the width of the tyre to 215.

Going from 205/55 to 225/50 would actually be perfect as far as the speedo is concerned (it would be 0.08% too fast), but as I mentioned earlier I think 225 might compromise handling for our stock (6 1/2 inch?) rims.

Increasing your rims size doesn't mean you would have to recalibrate your speedo - it depends on the tyre size. 16 inch rims with 225/45 tyres would make next to no difference to our speedo (0.3% too slow)

Well, that's how I see it anyhow :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts