Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i decided my valve cover need some TLC so i got to work on in and now......

Before

600/1000 Sand Paper + 2hrs sanding + Metal Ceramic paint=

After...

gona post a better pic once i take it off againg to put the clear coat on it...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Alright here are some much better pic of the valve cover fully sanded and painted.....

Up close before I put it back on

Installed....looks alot better and cleaner, Notice the lower part of the head that is about what the cover used to look like...

Next step will to be a full cleaning of the rest of the engine, dam dust and crap is everywhere.......than sand and polish the intake manifold

·
Registered
666 Posts
????????????

wat did u use to get those awesome result?
how long did it take u to do it?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
hehe
went to the local auto part store and got some:

1)
600/1000 grain sand paper,

can of of 'Aluminum' Enamel ceramic engine paint (can get almost any color too)

can of 'clear' Enamel ceramic engine paint

2)
Removed the Valve cover, and got a de greaser and cleaned the oil off the bottom.

than got a nice hot bin of water and Oxi Clean

let the head sit in there for a bout 2hrs to help losten any stuck on grime and dirt.

3)
Dryed and finished cleaning the cover, had to use a hair dryer to get all the water out it.

4)
proceded to to sand the entire top side of the head w/ the 600 paper, U will need a lot of sheets for this, 3-4 packs worth, as the metal flakes render the sheets usless fater a few min.

I sanded the cover for about 2hrs with the 600 untill it had a rough shine all over.

After that I ran the 1000 over it for about 30min to neaten things up.

5)
Wipe off any remaining dust from the sanding and get a nice ventlated room (outside/garage)

I painted 4 coats of the 'aluminum' on the top side of the cover alowing 1 hr in between each coat

after the 4th coat i let it dry for 24hrs than i applyed 2 coats of the 'clear' allowing 2hrs in between the coats

and that is what it came out looking like

Total cost was about $15-20 (deending on how much sand paper you get)

and there is enough left over for me to do the same to the rest of the engine block once i get the chance to take it out when i redo the internals
:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also the paint is tested to 500*
you can get paint tested up to 1200* and higher
but it will cost alot more, and i really did not see the need for some tested that high

·
Registered
666 Posts
ahhhhhhhh

aaaaaaahhhhhhhh genious,

ill look forward to do it after the winter.

thanks again.

·
Registered
787 Posts
the sandpaper is wet-or-dry so that the water continues to carry away the stuff that gets sanded off. That way the dust that clogs the dry paper does not clog the wet paper. Same principal as sanding headlight lenses.;)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I dont want to make you all jealous, but i just had to post a pic of my nice and tidy engine bay.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
good lord, that is the dirtiest mx6 engine bay i have ever seen. thats worse than when i go off roading in my truck.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
5tircrazy said:
I dont want to make you all jealous, but i just had to post a pic of my nice and tidy engine bay.

:lol:

Keep up the good work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts