Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I had some Problems with rad. The top plastic part cracked on the weirdest spot. i tried to patch it up but that did not hold for more than 2 weeks. The other weird thing is that it looks fairly new. Anyway I'm gona change that sucker and I have to make a decision:

1. New rad c $275/ $180 USD

or

2. Used rad C $95 / $60 USD all aluminum and 1 year warranty, no sensor on it either

so this is my dillema. Is it worth it?

Oh and I'm a poor schmuck too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
never change the RAD, but i dont think it really matters which one you get, aluminum or plastic. i have heard good things from both. it it was up to me i would choose the aluminum one though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sensor

I have a 88 GT my car is all DIGITAL. The sensor is just a dashboard indicator that lets you know when yer coolant is low.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
If it were me, Personally, I'd go with the new one if you have a GT. You might not have to worry too much if you have the LX or DX.

I am also assuming the used one has been cored out and rebuilt. Remember, some do good rebuild jobs, and some do poor rebuild jobs, I've experienced both. But the one Bad rebuild made me decide to never go used again with a radiator.

Look around a little more also. In Dallas Tx (USA) there are many, many radiator shops or sellers or whatever. I found quite a price range by callling around. Good Luck. For my Lincoln Town car, they ran from $140 to $280 NEW. I'm not even going to quote the dealer. Needless to say, I bought the $140 one.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Trust me, do yourself a favor and go with the new one. I bought a used one for my old mx-6. It was the aluminum/plastic type that came from a '91 626. Well, it didnt cool all that great, and the 1 time my car overheated (due to a ****ed fan relay), the top tank cracked open, and well, that was that.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hey, get a new one from carparts.com. Its all metal (not aluminum) for $100. go to importhookup.com and use the $30 off coupon for carparts.com I just ordered mine. Lifetime warenty too..hehe

·
Registered
666 Posts
No, I'm sorry, that sensor is NOT FOR LOW COOLANT.
It's on the BOTTOM of the radiator, if it's the one I'm thinking of. It's to tell the car what temperature the coolant is at, and it adjusts different things like idle, and fuel delivery accordingly.
It's about $50 to replace, and I would go ahead and do it.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
The funny thing about that sensor. My '90 dosent have it, but my '89 did. Well the used radiator I got didnt have a place for it, so i just left it out. There was absolutely no difference in the car's behavior with the sensor disconnected. I still to this day wonder what it's for. There's no info in it in the shop manual either.

·
Registered
449 Posts
yeah my 89 has it but my 92 doesn't. wierd.

The new radiator for my 89 (which is plastic and Aluminum BTW), doesn't have the sensor opening. hmmm

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's a mexican fix it trick (at least untill you get your new rad):

Go to AutoZone or Checkers and get JB Weld & JB Quick.

Take the JB Quick and mix the two packets in a 1:1 mixture or even a 1:1.2 mixture. Take the mixed portion and spread it all over the cracked area let it dry then add a second coat.

Wait for the JB Quick to dry.

Then take the JB Weld and mix it in the same fassion.

Then take the mixed portion and spread it over the area once covered with the first mixture. Wait until it dries (around an hour). Then put a second coat and let it sit over night.

That should take care of it until you can get your new radiator.

Peace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts