Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've recently taken an intrest in driving (because I get my learner's permit in three days!) and I've been looking about the place for something to replace the old Landcruiser when mum and dad go on their big post-retirement trip, and I came to a few basic ideas of what I want:
1) Fun to drive
2) Japanese(cheaper to repair, more reliable)
3) Mazda or Toyota
4) Reasonable back seat for hauling model airplanes/freinds
5) Manual transmission

Now, in an ideal world, I'd like an RX-8, but with a cost of over $50 000AUD for the base model, that's not going to work. So, I began looking around, I found the Oz Mazda Club forums, joined up there and started talking to people about various cars, looked in the paper to see what fitted my criteria.... Not much, most of the RX-7s that were going were turbo-charged(huge insurance premiums, illegal for those not on a full licence) and devoid of a back seat worth mentioning, Celicas had waaay too much of an image with insurace companies as hoon cars, the MX-5 is too small, and I was left looking rather high and dry. Then I saw an MX-6 at school. True, the owner had ruined it in my eyes by clamping the barrel of an artillery gun onto the exhaust, adding silly chrome rims and a speaker system that defies logic, but it still looked quite nice, not too flashy but still had sporty lines, with a bigish looking back seat. I asked the OMC guys about them, they said good things and sent me here.
So here I am!

What do you lot have to say about this little car?

1)Fun and easy to drive?

2) How big is the back seat?(I've got to fit a few R/C airplanes in there)

3) Overall impressions?

Thanks a ton for putting up with me, I'll try not to post such newbie questions again!

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Welcome Peter :wave: ,

Well your obviously going to get a bios'd review of the mx-6 on here.
Persoanaly i have found the 6 very reliable, easy to drive, and if your new to driving, then there is enough power there for you. I have owned my MX6 over 2 years now and the only thing i have been 'forced' to replace is the exhaust ! Yes i have replaced other things due to standard weekly/monthly maintainance, but only the exhaust has 'failed'. My advice when looking is to find one with lots of documentation and history showing it has been well cared for. The 2.5ltr V6 engines can be good for over 200-250,000 miles if well maintained and cared for, so dont be supprised if you find yourself always looking at motors with over 100,000 miles on them. I cannot comment on parts and pricing in OZ, the guys in the OZ regional forum should help there. As for room on your model RC planes, they can be big, but are you aware the MX6 back seats fold down ? it does also have quite a large boot space. I would think you could get at least one model plane in there.

Well i'm sure some of the others will also post thier views for you.

Oddy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome,
Thanks for that Oddie, I'll keep my eyes peeled for good deals on MX-6s in the area. I see one that's ideal at the moment, but I doubt there will be a purchase, because the parents are holding the purse strings, and I've no doubt it will be sold in a flash. It's the right colour, the right transmission and the right price, all in top condition with 165000Km on the clock... Sorta makes me wish I was getting my provisonal licence and not my learners so I could at least try to justify the expenditiure. There will be more I suppose...

Peter

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Speaking of bias, don't rule out the 1st gen :D And if you need more room in the back, the 626 is a 4 door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1st Gens are no good for me, the Roads and Traffic Authority just banned learner and provisional drivers(with the exeption of diesel engines) from Turbocharged, supercharged, 8 or more cyclinders. They seem to have forgotten that
a) Many new drivers can't afford such cars, and:
b) Any car can kill you just as easily( or more easily if you're driving the wrong thing...)

I'd love a 626, especially if I can get a wagon(estate, whatever), but it MUST be manual, and most of the ones I'm seeing advertised are autos. There's no hurry though, I'll still be able to clank around in the LC80 for a while yet.

Peter

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
how about the 626i? isn't that AWD and a 5 door?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That never made it out here, probably because it would not have had the sales volume against the Subarus.
I wouldn't mind a Mazda6 wagon, but they don't come in manual(we don't get the Mazda6 V6 either, but there are several good reasons for that)
I'll keep looking around, prehaps the right car and the right funds will be in the same place at the same time...
Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts