Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just did a comp test on my motor,all are within 5 psi of each other,highest was 140,lowest was 135,thought i had a valve guide gone,but it smokes all the time,from the time u start it to the time u shut it off,any thoughts,i 'm hopping its the guide,as i don't want to change the whole motor,(i do have a rebuilt 1)

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Hi Dukieduke and welcome...
Really need to know what engine you have for the pressure figures, but i can say that if its a 2.5 v6, those are very low :( . But then you say all are within 5 psi of each other so i'm guessing its a 4 pot , and if so your readings are middle area .. Std=171 Min=119 on a 4 cyl... Std=203 .. Min=142 on a V6. To test them accurately you must be cranking the engine at least 7-10 times per test, and its best if someone is doing that for you, so you can watch the guage... On a healthy motor the compression should build up quickly, if you get a low reading first and then it slowly increases pressure on each stroke, its your rings, a low reading first that does not increase, indicates leaking valves, blown head gasket etc
Have you checked your oil for water ingress, i.e. a brownish sludge, and also the water for any signs of oil ? ... So if you could supply us some more information, we take it from there.

Oddy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its the 2.2,no water in oil,smells funky,not 100 % like oil,almost like bad gas,with something thrown in,was hopping it would just be a guide,as i could remove the head off the spare motor and use it,i changed the anti freeze 3 days ago,was green as green could be,but now is off colored,

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
sounds like either a blown head gasket or cracked head...have you overheated your engine lately? next time you do a compression test, do it with the radiator cap off. note if you see any bubbles bubbling up when you are doing your test, and which cylinder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts