Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Germs, thinking of moving into an MX6. What's the general advice for the good years, fair price, and coolest mods? I definitely want an LS with the 5-speed, and if I have to wait for that then I will.

Used to drive a 323 back in the day (my first car) and I've always been taken with Mazda cars. Was thinking of doing a Stang 5.0 but I dunno, at $2 a gallon. . .

8^) -Sean.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dude go with an mx6. They are really fun cars and with the proper mods and whop some butt. But make sure u get an MTX and not an ATX.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Sean Wolfe said:
Ladies and Germs, thinking of moving into an MX6. What's the general advice for the good years, fair price, and coolest mods? I definitely want an LS with the 5-speed, and if I have to wait for that then I will.

Used to drive a 323 back in the day (my first car) and I've always been taken with Mazda cars. Was thinking of doing a Stang 5.0 but I dunno, at $2 a gallon. . .

8^) -Sean.
OK. First off, look into getting a 95-97 MX6 rather than a 93-94. The MX6 had a lot of recalls and things that went wrong between the 93-94 models. For instance the rear calipers freezing up. With the 95-97 models, these little bugs were fixed so you won't have to be bothered with them.

Now as far as perfomance. What do you want an automatic or a 5speed. 4cyl or V6? I would go for a 5 speed V6 myself. But if you're looking to just drive around and not care about cars passing you, then go for a 4 cyl auto. As far as a 6cyl automatic, the transmission will go at about 60K miles or so. If you do get an auto, make your first modification a tranny cooler. That will elongate the trany's life.

Things to look out for:

If youre getting a car with a lot of miles, or at least 60K, make sure that they have replaced the following.
-Time belt and pulleys
-Water pump and pulleys
-Time belt tensioner
-Front and rear valve cover gaskets
-Inner/outer CV joints (look for grease)

What I would do is first unscrew the oil filler top and with a flashlight, look inside towards the cams. ust make sure that the oil is nice and clear and that the sidewalls are rther clean and not filled with a tar like subtance. I've seen some cars with this and recently a 95 PGT had a buncha crap floating around in there. Then remove the spark plug wires and inspect them for oil. If you see oil on them, chances are, they did not replace the valve cover gaskets. Also like I mentioned above, look at the CV joints, make sure they are not ruptured or cracked. If they are, they need to be replaced.

So take a look at those things and if you see that things have not been changed or replaced, you can use that to your advantage to negotiate a better price.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts