Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my first post on this board. So any input will be appreciate. I've a 94 MX6 4cyl. for around two years and it's been problematic lately. Here's the symtoms and the sequence it is happening:

1)While cruising at 3 or 4 gears (automatic) between 2-3 thousands rpms, the car will suddenly slow down, it seems as if i have let off the gas, but in fact i'm still holding the gas steady.

2) Almost at the same time, the engine light comes on.

3) If i let off the gas pedal for a second, and reapply it, the car will accelerate again and after a while the engine will goes away and this cycle repeats itself.

4) Also, 8 out of 10 times when I'm accelerating from stop. My car is stalling/missing/hesitating, i don't know what to call it. It's just the car is not going and shaking for the first second after i press on the gas, after that the engine is surging and like catching up and shifting at 3 rpms, which is higher than normal. I've a feeling that this is related to the problem i've above.

I've try to get the error code myself. But I can't believe it, my diagnosis connection do NOT have the STI(TEN) connector!! I mean it doesn't have the metal clamp in the hole so i can't short it with the GND. How am i supposed to check the engine code without the connector? Is there any other way to get the code?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
hc said:
It's my first post on this board. So any input will be appreciate. I've a 94 MX6 4cyl. for around two years and it's been problematic lately. Here's the symtoms and the sequence it is happening:

1)While cruising at 3 or 4 gears (automatic) between 2-3 thousands rpms, the car will suddenly slow down, it seems as if i have let off the gas, but in fact i'm still holding the gas steady.

2) Almost at the same time, the engine light comes on.

3) If i let off the gas pedal for a second, and reapply it, the car will accelerate again and after a while the engine will goes away and this cycle repeats itself.

4) Also, 8 out of 10 times when I'm accelerating from stop. My car is stalling/missing/hesitating, i don't know what to call it. It's just the car is not going and shaking for the first second after i press on the gas, after that the engine is surging and like catching up and shifting at 3 rpms, which is higher than normal. I've a feeling that this is related to the problem i've above.
These are typical of O2 sensor malfunction, though roughness, missing etc may also indicate the need for a MAF cleaning and/or a plug wire inspection.

I've try to get the error code myself. But I can't believe it, my diagnosis connection do NOT have the STI(TEN) connector!! I mean it doesn't have the metal clamp in the hole so i can't short it with the GND. How am i supposed to check the engine code without the connector? Is there any other way to get the code?

Any help would be appreciated!
The reason your car doesn't have the TEN pin is because it's got, believe it or not, a Ford engine control system in it called EEC-IV. You should see a couple of "loose" connectors near the front of the left strut tower, both female, one with 6 (?) positions and one with just one position (i.e. one wire going to it.) The single wire-connector is the STI for the EEC system. Go to my web site and go to Malf Codes. Look for the not-so-obvious link to getting codes out of an EEC system for instructions.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike, that was really helpful! I found the ECC test connector and get the following code:

Hard fault : 111 (which i think means system ok) Why don't it output 11 instead,which is the two digit code for system ok...?

Memory fault:
172 (R,M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S

So i guess i will need to replace my O2S. Anyone know if 4 cyl. MX6 only has a single O2S? I heard bosch make a direct fit replacement for mx6, anybody has the bosch part number?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
hc said:
Thanks Mike, that was really helpful! I found the ECC test connector and get the following code:

Hard fault : 111 (which i think means system ok) Why don't it output 11 instead,which is the two digit code for system ok...?

Memory fault:
172 (R,M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S

So i guess i will need to replace my O2S. Anyone know if 4 cyl. MX6 only has a single O2S? I heard bosch make a direct fit replacement for mx6, anybody has the bosch part number?

Thanks again!
Speaking with a certain level of ignorance (being a V6 owner), the 94 4-banger will have just the one O2 sensor. The Bosch p/n is unknown to me...sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts