Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker has a dead '93 w/ 120k miles sitting in his driveway that he wants to sell me. He said that it won't start and it is experiencing the same symtoms that he had twice before, but when it was under warranty. Both times it was a distributor.

I've briefly searched this forum and it appears as though that is a common problem.

My question is, is it worth the $500 he is asking for it? It has 120k miles on it and is in good condition.

How much is a new distributor? Is it easy to replace?
I've never worked on Mazda's before.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
hi

first off yes the distis are big $$ but for 500 plus at most new on ebay for a new distributor 300. YES the car is worth that most of us on this board would be happy to pay 800 if thats the only problem....by the way there is a guy on this board named hughes he sell used parts he may have one..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ask if you can have a trustworthy mechanic look at it to see what else it needs but ya still sounds like a good deal unless it's the 4cy auto then I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
GET IT!!!! people who dont shop around get ripped off. a rebuilt distributor with a lifetime warrantee sells at autozone for $150!! its very easy to install. two bolts, three screws, and the air filter box. and it has a lifetime warrantee!! autozone is very good about honoring their warrantees. you dont even have to keep your reciept, they store your info in their computer.

the only reason to take a second thought about getting it would be if it was an i4 with an auto trans.

some of this information only applies to the v6 LS engine.......
if i were you, id first make sure its the distributor. make sure u know what your getting into. a timing belt thats jumped a tooth and a bad fuel pump both have similar simptoms to a bad distributor. check to make sure that the car has a blue spark, if it doesnt its the distributor or spark plug wires. if it is blue hot and doesnt start. thats not your problem. take the radiator cap off and have someone try and start the car. if you can see the cam gear not moving then you have a broken timing belt. if it is moving but wont start, the belt may have jumped a tooth and you should preform a compression test. if it fails on one or both cylinder banks the timing belt slipped. to check for fuel u can do a couple things, unbolt the banjo bolt on the IM and try and start the car, if fuel squirts out youve got a good fuel pump. or you could jump the f/p and gnd pins in the diagnostic box and turn the car to the on position get out and walk to the back of the car and listen for the fuel pump, you may have to stick your head under the car or to the open gas filler neck, to hear it. if you can hear it, it works, if you cant it doesnt.

hope that helped, btw if that car is the LS id buy it in a heartbeat, nomatter what the problem is..... if its an i4 5spd id probally still get it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i bought my 93ls v6 with 120k on it for 800 the engine was blown. i bought a ze and im puttin it in right now but its alot cheaper than by a new one that runs i would jump on the 500

·
Registered
160 Posts
what is the actual engine/tranny in it? that would be the biggest factor for sure. good luck with it, i love mine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts