Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm new to the site but I've owned my 96 MX-6 AT for about 4 years now. I just changed my entire cooling system (Radiator, Hoses, Thermostat, Timing Belt, Water Pump, etc.) last month. But now I'm leaking antifreeze again from the left side of the radiator (looks like the lower hose but I can't see the exact spot.) And my temp guage is going up to the H (about 3/4 and up) after about 10 min. of driving.:damnmad:

What's really confusing me tho is that it's heating up while I accelerate and goes back down after I get up to cruising speeds. It doesn't even move when I idle!

I just don't understand what it could be, all the parts are new and I watched the shop do all the work myself because I used to work there. You guys have any ideas at all what it could be??

Please tell me I don't need to spend another $400 bux on this car.

PS. I searched the forums for problems similiar to mine but no one seems to have had the exact same problems, if this is a repost, my bad.

·
Registered
283 Posts
left side when your looking at the car or the left side as in driver side of the car?

·
Registered
787 Posts
To quote a revered national car guy, Just because it is new does not mean it is good. I would have the cooling system pressure checked while not running so you can look closely at all the components. Seems to me that some of the new radiators may largely be aluminum but do have some plastic parts, like maybe the hose necks?? It might have a crack in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good point, well good thing I got a warranty on all the parts and labor and didn't do the work under the table. I guess I'll take it over there tomorrow and see what the heck is going on. I really was hoping not to spend any money on it since I was about to sell within the month but who knows now.

Thanks for the info, if anyone has another ideas please post them, I could use all the info you can dish out.:D

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Well, I know it's sort of obvious, but just check that they closed the drain valve properly. It's right there on the passenger side of the radiator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys, seems a clamp was loose (dumb rubber clamps) on the lower radiator hose, took about 3 min. to fix and now it runs fine.

·
Registered
787 Posts
VMXBoss85 said:
Thanks for the help guys, seems a clamp was loose (dumb rubber clamps) on the lower radiator hose, took about 3 min. to fix and now it runs fine.
lucky for you it was a simple fix. It seems to happen more than you might think where a stupid little screw or something is not tight and it creates a problem that has you guessing what could be broken. I guess we should all recheck the connections first, then if that doesnt work, move on to more sinister likely culprits. That reminds me, my passenger window isnt working correctly. Could just be a loose wire or bad connection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts