Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I just bought a '93 ATX 6 - cylinder MX6, and I'm having a new transmission put in within the next few weeks, but for Christmas, I'm gonna be upgrading my system. I already have 2 Jensen 10's and a 2 channel amp powering them, but what speaker set up would be best for under or around $200? Also, if you go with components do you then have to have an amp to run the tweeters and mid drivers seperately, or how does this work? Well, let me know...Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I don't know what the best speaker set up would be...but with a component set you don't need an amplifier. I believe the wires going to the speaker will go into the crossover. There will be a wire from the crossover leading to the mid range and tweeters. Obviously, if you can afford it, an amplifier would be a great idea, but it's not necessary. Personally, I don't think the rear speakers are going to make a huge difference when you're in front though, unless you're looking for a very high end system. I still have stock rear speakers and I'm very satisfied.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so do you have a nice set of components in front and then stock rears with your components being powered by an amp? or what do you have? also...wouldn't the rear speakers take a beating because the front ones could handle way more power? Just curious...let me know

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I have a very nice set of speakers up front...An alumapro component set, WAY more than I should have spent. I don't have an amp for them yet, hopefully xmas will be good to me:)

You can adjust the balance on your radio to put more power to the component speakers so the rear speakers don't blow..I have mine set so the rear speakers only get about 60% of the power the front ones do. If you get an amplifier for the front ones though, you probably wouldn't need to adjust the balance since the front speakers are already getting more power.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do 6 1/2 's fit in the doors easily or what is the correct speaker size? Also, there are tweeters on the dash that look like they are about 1 inch diameter. How hard are these to replace? How much do they cost? SO...if you had a component set, the speaker wire from your h/u would run a pos and neg to your cross over and then the cross over would have a pos and neg for your tweeter and your mid driver going out of the other side? My h/u says 45 w x 4 speakers, would this be too little with a component set and 2 6x9's in the back?

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
Brennononon said:
Do 6 1/2 's fit in the doors easily or what is the correct speaker size? Also, there are tweeters on the dash that look like they are about 1 inch diameter. How hard are these to replace? How much do they cost? SO...if you had a component set, the speaker wire from your h/u would run a pos and neg to your cross over and then the cross over would have a pos and neg for your tweeter and your mid driver going out of the other side? My h/u says 45 w x 4 speakers, would this be too little with a component set and 2 6x9's in the back?

the correct size is 6x8 I believe. I ended up putting the mid range in myself. I had to do a little fabrication. I ended up taking some plywood, i think it was 1/2", and putting that in the place of the current speaker mount. I can't remember if the ones I got are 6.5 or 5.25, either way it's not going to fit right in. You've got it on the component set and crossovers. I don't know about the tweeters, someone else ended up putting them in for me. I didn't want to mess with the wires behind the dashboard. You'll probably have to cut the hole a bit bigger in the dash also, the current tweeter is probably smaller than any kind you will get.

My head unit is also 45w x 4...rms on it is 22w though. I don't have an amplifier for anything but the subs, and it sounds great in my opinion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, that's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't want to invest in components if I was going to have to reinvest in am amp for them within the next week. Thanks a ton!

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
glad I could help...now I actually feel useful here. Who cares if my 13xx other posts were completely useless, now I have that 1!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Why not just get a small inexpensive amp for the components in the front? It makes a huge difference when it is amped. You notice the difference and you could find a decent 2 channel for under $100. As for rear speakers, hold off on them and buy the amp, it will sound a lot better. That is what I would do. For front speakers if you don't want to cut the doors jl speakers sound good, a lot of comapnies make 5x7 / 6x8 speakers that are in the 2nd gen, do a little research before you buy anything, and most importantly listen to what you like!
BTW the us acoustics amps are real cheap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
so, if i got an amp to power a set of 6 1/2 components (this is what fits in the door right?) it would sound better than if i got 6 1/2 's for the doors and 6x9s for the back? i have an amp and subs in the trunk too...Where could I find a decent amp for cheap? How would you run components through an amp? Would a 2 Channel amp work? SHOW ME THE WAY! PLEASE! LOL! i've got to let me rents know what I want for Christmas before this weekend so please help me out...How tough is it to install components into the mx6? 6 1/2 s do fit in the door right?

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
6.5'a can go in front, and if you have your heart set on a brand or type that doesn't come in the 5x7 size, than building aplate like Mav works fine. If you're not real picky and just want good speakers, go with either the JL Audio XR 570 CSi's or the Kicker set (dunno model number off hand). The JL's can be had for between 200 and 300 dollars, less with some carefull searching on ebay and the like. Ikesound.com has the Kicker 5x7 seperates for under $100, and a matching coaxial set for the rear for under $50. Not super duper, but a lot better than stock, and a direct fit for install.

If it means more money for the speakers right now, wait on the amp. ;):tup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts