Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one that has a 93-97 mx6 with a v6 do not use octane,
higher than 89. because i went to mazda school last week and they told me that a higher octane will make alot of build up on pistons, and cause pistons to hit valves and cause missfires and mill light on.the carbon gets so packed on pistons and valves and intake,that the problems are engine runs rough at times and stalls a lot.why this happens cause your engine doesn't get hot enough to burn all of the octane up and sticks on pistons.with a lower octane it will burn better , i know it sounds like bull but they show me an engine that ran high octane and blew the head apart i saw it. so if you are using high octane put 89 in and get some top engine cleaner and use it three or four times in a 2 month period.until you dont here any more bottom noise like a tig not a tap. if you have any questions please email me!

·
Registered
283 Posts
is this on the 1st or 2nd generation

·
Registered
475 Posts
why then does mazda recomend using 91+ octane in my v6?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mazda dealership or mazda region? because some dealer ships dont know whats going on, and sure they want more work to come. i know i work at a dealer ship but a good one!i mean dont use regular use mid grade a good brand not cheap stuff. it will save you a lot of money .in the long run you will get more miles at of it. i saw one come in with 250,000 miles and no smoking! sorry for long write.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm talking about mazda (the company). The fuel door and manual both recomend a high octane fuel.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can anyone else confirm this..I use 93 and would love to have a reason not to pay so much!

·
Registered
41 Posts
How About The 2.0L/4cyl

Do us 2.0L 4cyl people have to worry, i always use 90+ octain. Am I going to start to have a problem because if I lissen to the engine I can hear a kind of high pitch noise. I think it is one of the injectors but I'm not sure. Any help and info on the gas would be nice. Thanks guys and hope to hear from some of you soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have the proof of papers from the mazda school that has everything you should know i wiil post it when i get a chance. i dont know about 2.0 i'll check on it ok

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is crap. Higher octane fuel burns more rapidly and hotter. Higher octane fuel has also more cleaning additives that will clean your fuel system better.

Otherwise the ecu should adjust for the difference in octane.

And no, your head won't crack when you use high octane fuel 93-94oct (unless YOU drink it).
Maybe it was Jet fuel that cracked their head???

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
FE3 and 98 octane

I`m using 98 octane on my FE3 engine becaus i belive the ecu want retract the ignition so much (knock sensor) and give me more power than lower octane and more knocking would do
I dont know about the V6 but my engine has no carbon deposits and this is after 225000 miles with 95 and 98 octane,yes its 225000 miles not 22500 miles still no oil consumtion or loss of power and i can place a coin standing at the valvecover at idle

[Edited by FE3T on 04-13-2001 at 07:35 PM]

·
Registered
475 Posts
unfortunatley guys I think this is true. I think it is the use of the 93 octane over time that causes the carbon build up. Thats why mazda wasn't able to catch the problem when the car was first built. Now they are seeing the effects of the carbon build up.
I would believe Phil because he does work for a mazda dealership and did goto Mazda school. What reason does he have to lie to us??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah higher octane will burn better if compression is higher. but we have low compression so it wont burn as good and the rest we stick to the pistons that why at mazda they said that they say to use a lower grade!thats why you hear smacking noise in cold start ups and its not the lifter noise!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It does take longer to burn higher octane, that's why it is rated higher! But what gets the buildup on the engine is lack of excercise. Everyonce in a while get the engine running at 4500 rpm out on the highway, that'll help heat things up and burn off extra carbon. Lots of city driving helps build up the carbon. You need to excercise the engine to help counter the effects of carbon buildup. The reason of using higher octane is to reduce knock, or pre detonation, which is a less controlled burn and will cause damage to an engine, especially one with higher compression, more aggressive timing, or forced induction.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah thats true but a lot of people do a lot of stop and go thats why mazda change it, if everybody did highway it wouldnt be a problem. if you use super i would use top engine cleaner every month! to get the stuff off the pistons and not have a lot build up.but its a lot of money to do this so i would use plus instead. the gas addives dont use there a waste of time.

·
Registered
446 Posts
So if I run the PISS out of my motor a couple times a month, I'll be ok enjoying the performance benefits of Premium? Cool. I'd had to switch to sub-premium fuel. Accidentally did it once and noticed a big difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts