Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys,

after Sabbai taking a look at my plugs, seems i might have the wrong ones in my car...

now loking at the NGK website, there are two recommended plugs for our F2T
one is for the 86-89 series
then 89 onwards

the 89 onwards plug number is ZFR6F-11
while the earlier ones are ZFR6A-11

i think the ones in my car i think is the 89 onwards (ill have to check the box )

seems my plugs are running lean and some are burning the tips.. altho my A/F meter shows its at average range (14.6-15) while driving
are any of you guys using regular NGK plugs? and which ones are they?
im not interested if you're using platinum plugs....

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just stick to the standard NGK plugs (ZFR6F -11) gapped to 1.1mm and change them every other oil change. Mine always come out with a nice carbon look and to date I haven't had issues with the NGK plugs. If you look under your bonnet or in the owners manual there should be a sticker telling you what plugs to use either the 6F's or the 6A's.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
ive got mine gapped to .9mm. i found it a far smoother drive after boosting the car. ie im running bout 14psi atm, and found that the car just preferred the shorter gap

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shibbs said:
Quite simply, if your mazda is 12/1989 onwards use the ZFR6F-11 if it before this date use ZFR6FA - 11.
my cars a 91 TX5 with an 89 mx6 motor in it
thats all i really know..
anyway to tell teh actual date of the motor?

could either be i have an intake manifold leak, or fuel pump on the way out

·
Registered
292 Posts
There are meant to be some differences in the coolant hoses on the intake plenum what they are im not sure. In regards to the plug the difference is in the firing end construction of the plug. series 1 (GD1021) had the 'A' style whilst series 2 (GD1022) has the 'F' style. I honestly don't think that it means much at the end of the day and judging that the series 2 came in so late in the yr there would be a fair chance that your motor belongs to a series 1 car.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
theres an extra coolant line on the 1022 on the intake plenum. sabbais car has it and i dont. i cant really explain what it is and cant take a photo of it, coz i dont have it to take a photo of :p lol

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Yea, I think the 1022 is from about august onwards. My mother had a TX5 that was around september, and it was a 1022, yet only just from memory.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i had a brain fart...
my car is actually an 89...
heres a pic

if my memory serves me correct
the car who i bought it from (pashn8) purcahsed the car off Bazeng, who purcahsed the engine from cam22t
i think

·
Registered
292 Posts
Looks like a GD1021(ser 1) to me. Firstly, the cruise control setup on the throttle body is different and that coolant hose off the intake is not there.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
The engine is from an 89 mx6 4ws GD1021 5 speed manual. It was in very good condition with 182 000 k's on it.

Your plugs are the earlier ones.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cam22t said:
The engine is from an 89 mx6 4ws GD1021 5 speed manual. It was in very good condition with 182 000 k's on it.

Your plugs are the earlier ones.
thanks cam, anymore info on it?
so bazeng didnt purchase the manual with it?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i checked my plugs, and they are the F plugs...

now seeming as Cam has said my engine needs the A plugs... will there be any difference if i used the later plugs on my engine?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts