Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright i have a 93 LS MTX, and i think the muffler it came with sounds pretty nice, but i am looking into buying a new one. I want something that isnt very high pitch and raspy. I hear all these 17 yr old homos with their civics and raspy ass mufflers and it sounds like ****. I know i probably wont get a nice deep sound like an old muscle car, but i was wondering what brand muffler would atleast give me a nice clean sound, the deeper the better. Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
787 Posts
First of all you have a V6 and the Civics are running I4's right? You have a different, more exotic sound right out of the box.
Secondly, the only way you will get a nice deep muscle car sound is to stuff a nice big V8 under the hood of your car.
You have what you have. A distinct sounding small-displacement V6. Many on this site seem to think Borla sounds good. Personnaly, I cant say since I have never heard one on our cars, but if I dont get my exhaust system fixed soon I may end up with one and might find it quieter than mine is now!:eek:

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you want nice deep sound go with magna flow i
have the same muffler with a 18'' magnaflow XL series resnator and it sounds bada$$ has a nice deep clean tone i can make some mp3s of how mine sounds as soon as i get my laptop back from my dads house

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, the magnaflow looks nice. If you want to post some mp3s that would be great but ill take your word for it. I also like how the hae the dual exhaust holes, i think it looks nice like that, i dont want a big ass 5" like on all of the other rice cars around here. Ill definately look into this one and Borla too. Thanks again guys for the help.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i also have magnaflow, single tip muffler. sounds better than any 4cyl ive ever heard!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
i also have magnaflow, single tip muffler. sounds better than any 4cyl ive ever heard

yeah, my magnaflow is so deep, that sometimes, it vibrates my back windshield.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I like my OBX, very deep and no raspy :E

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
http://home.earthlink.net/~shaodome/exhaust.mp3

Here is my exhaust when I first got it. 2.5 test pipe, 2.5 mandrel bend, 21in Magnaflow Ressy, and a Powertech Muffler. By far I think the biggest impact on the sound is using a good muffler. I have seen others with this same (or very close) setup and they have some rasp or higher pitched buzzing with the use of cheapo resonators. GET A GOOD ONE! Magnaflow is a great choice :)

If you are gonna keep your stock piping setup and cat then I would also recommend the Magnaflow muffler. They are made very well (unlike that crap on ebay) and sound really good.

IMO Borla sounds very much like stock unless you throw in a testpipe and change pipe diameters...to much trouble for the $.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Personally i like the Borla's, but i love my Greddy...nice and deep with a good sounds throughout the whole rpm-range.

G

·
i totally understand where u r coming from with the wanting a deep sound i just had a 2.5" pipeing full cat back put on. it is an Apexi Dunk series muffler, i also have an exhaust dump on it very nice clean sound. actually more suddle then teh stock on at idle and until about 3000 then u can hear but no ricey sound, deep just amplified and when the vris open up it is a very nice sound

·
Registered
82 Posts
personally i have a borla with 2.5 custom exhaust w/ glasspack, and i think it doesn't sound ricey at all. i can't remember exactly witch borla, but it has a dual tip. sounds really good, i haven't heard not one complaint on it yet..

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for all of your replies. I love this site :D. It looks like ill be going with the magnaflow, im not sure if im going to keep the stock piping or not, we'll see. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
159 Posts
well, i dont know if you bought your exhaust already, but this could be considered. my 6 it fairly deep, until i get up to 5+ RPM, then it screams. I had my friend drive my car and i drove his, he was 3 blocks away and i could hear him. cops love me by the way...lol. i have a testpipe, custom bent piping (no reso's), and a delphi exhaust. i had the piping and exhaust before the testpipe, and it was suttle and deep, but not too loud. so i got the test pipe, its amazing now. i love it. police say its too loud even when i idle. which kinda sucks alot. checkout delphi's site (never looked for it). i dont know, but they mite only be canadian based. but hey, jm2c.

who's seen i fireball come out their own exhaust? ... i have!

·
Registered
159 Posts
well, i dont know if you bought your exhaust already, but this could be considered. my 6 it fairly deep, until i get up to 5+ RPM, then it screams. I had my friend drive my car and i drove his, he was 3 blocks away and i could hear him. cops love me by the way...lol. i have a testpipe, custom bent piping (no reso's), and a delphi exhaust. i had the piping and exhaust before the testpipe, and it was suttle and deep, but not too loud. so i got the test pipe, its amazing now. i love it. police say its too loud even when i idle. which kinda sucks alot. checkout delphi's site (never looked for it). i dont know, but they mite only be canadian based. but hey, jm2c.

who's seen i fireball come out their own exhaust? ... i have!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Radar your exhaust sounds nice, is that from inside the car or outside??? And could you get some sounds of WOT maybe, i would really like to hear it.

I'm hopefully gonna be looking for an exhaust system next spring when i get my car out of storage and get some money so I'm just trying to get some ideas.

-Bryce

·
Registered
146 Posts
if you're looking for a really mean sound, I'd suggest putting on a cold air intake. I wasn't really expecting it when I put mine on, but it screams and sounds like a v8 at WOT. I love going under bridges with my windows down...

Plus, when the sound is coming from the engine it just sounds more badass than out of the muffler, and it makes the engine bay look so nice. check out my cardomain site for pics...

www.cardomain.com/id/hunanking

And it's cheaper and easier.

Mike

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
In that clip the first part is outside just revving with no load on the engine. Then the next two passes were inside the car @ WOT (one with the windows down, and the other up). The final pass is a flyby, but the recording was stopped to early.

One thing about my exhaust was that around 5800rpms it would almost seem to get quieter. Sounded pretty cool actually. After I added my ZE IM that changed though. It got quieter because the engine was getting choked off by the stupid KL03 IM.

I'll try to get another clip of it now with my pacesetters and ZE IM on. Sounds even meaner. I was worried that the pacesetters would screw up the sound, but they didn't. It kinda sounds like an exotic when engine braking....its awesome!

·
Registered
333 Posts
wow, that muff sounds good in that mp3 download, is there any powerful sounding setup's for a i4, im running no cat with a bonzai exhaust and it rasps big time, its a unique sound, but you can hear it from like a 1/2 mile away"literally" i didnt spend any money on my exhaust, so investing in a new one wouldnt hurt me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts