Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any specific information on boring our KL fuel rails? I'm currently building a 400HP KL with fully forged internals and a toyota trans. This is one of my last hurdles that I'm having a hard time finding information on.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Take your kl injector, remove the Oring and measure the diameter of the inlet section that goes into the fuel rail. Then measure the inner diameter of the hole in the fuel rail the injector sits in.
The difference between the two diameters in the clearance the oring needs to fit.

Measure the Nismo injector inlet diameter, add the same clearance as the kl to rail had.
Find the closest size drill bit available and drill the holes in the rail that size.
File the edge of the fuel rail holes (or they will cut the o rings when installing them).

Measure the inlet length of the kl injector and the nismo injector. If the nismo inlet is longer you will need to shim it, use a plastic, rubber, metal washer or piece of hose on the inlet so the fuel rail sits against it.

If the nismo inlet are shorter than no shim is required.

The Oring is what seals the inlet side of the injector, you may have to try different thickness orings to get a snug fit at the rail.
The pressure the fuel rail puts on the injector is what seals the injector outlet at the intake manifold, Orings can be added to the injector outlet between the injector and rubber/plastic ring to help seal the outlet in the intake.

Shims and longer bolts can be used between the rail and intake to make up for longer body injectors...

You need a good seal at the injector o ring and you need adequate pressure on the injectors from the fuel rail.

When enlarging holes it is easiest to keep everything straight by working your way up in drill bit size, example your have a 1/4" sleeve hole and you want to make it 1/2". Don't just start with a 1/2" drill bit, Start with the 1st drill bit in your kit that's larger than 1/4" (17/64" or 9/32") and keep working your way up in size to 1/2", In a large standard drill bit set there are 15 sizes between 1/4" and 1/2", every other size can be skipped so instead of drilling the same hole with 16 different bits you can do it with 8.
Also you are drilling aluminum and small amounts at a time, this does not require high speed or lots of pressure, let the drill bit center itself and apply enough force to keep it moving through the sleeve.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
What toyota gear box are you using? Do you know the gear ratio's and final drive of the gear box?
I am still looking for a gear box the will handle 450ft-lb torque and has longer, taller gears (smaller gear ratios) lower rpm at the same speed than the F2T gearbox. Getrag once made an aftermarket FWD 6speen transmission good for 600+ ft-lb torque with gear ratio options, very expensive but would have been worth it. 200+ mph top speed, cruising on the highway at 120km/h way below 3000rpm getting good gas millage, less wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd...
The stupid mazda 3 is the same, going the speed of traffic on the highway (120) in 5th the rpms are above 3000 and the gas millage is horrible.

Is there any car that actually gets good gas millage without having to drive it like your dead and only do 80km/h on the highway?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What toyota gear box are you using? Do you know the gear ratio's and final drive of the gear box?
I am still looking for a gear box the will handle 450ft-lb torque and has longer, taller gears (smaller gear ratios) lower rpm at the same speed than the F2T gearbox. Getrag once made an aftermarket FWD 6speen transmission good for 600+ ft-lb torque with gear ratio options, very expensive but would have been worth it. 200+ mph top speed, cruising on the highway at 120km/h way below 3000rpm getting good gas millage, less wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd...
The stupid mazda 3 is the same, going the speed of traffic on the highway (120) in 5th the rpms are above 3000 and the gas millage is horrible.

Is there any car that actually gets good gas millage without having to drive it like your dead and only do 80km/h on the highway?
I'm using a toyota E350 transmission from a 2005 camry. The final drive ratio is 3.94 apparently the transmission is capable of 750whp and 10s passes. Check out suicidemx3 on YouTube he makes an adapter plate for it. I found a local machine shop willing to do the rails for 200$ so now with the info you gave me they will be able to do it properly! Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
With a drill press they can cut the final size hole first shot.

3.94 : 1 wheel rotation is slightly better than the F2T 4.105: 1 wheel rotation but that all depends on the actual gear ratios, I might look into this gear box.

Honda civics have put 750hp through factory transmissions that an F2T would destroy at factory torque (190), HP doesn't destroy transmissions, sudden torque does. Toyota thick geared transmissions are known for taking a lot of torque but I would look into the torque rpm and curve of those running this 2005 camry transmission. If there cars suck like a Honda (Yes you can run a 10second 1/4 mile and still have a car that sucks), huge turbo slow spool, boost takes 1000rpm to reach peak, high revving engine, runs fast 1/4 mile but looses to cars on a role one the highway that it would beat on the track due to low torque, most gearboxes will handle the powerband. If the car doesn't suck and the turbo is sized properly and if you floor it going 3000rpm @ 65l ft-bs torque and in 50rpm your at peak boost putting down 400 ft-lb torque the car doesn't suck, with traction will be fast at the track but most importantly will but down power and move when you ask it to instead of slowly building up to it.

Although having a car with instant power is more fun it is a lot more demanding on the transmission.
Torque is what accelerates your car HP is the work your engine could do at that rpm over 60 seconds.
The only thing that matters is how quickly the rpm's climb under acceleration, the earlier they start climbing quickly and longer they do it for the faster the car is.Torque.

By the way 400ft-lb torque @ 3065rpm = 233hp.

All I am saying is that before you do the shift linkage, mounts and everything else needed for this transmission make sure it's the right transmission for your build. Or if this transmission doesn't work out there is a company in Australia that sells gear and final drive and to make G box transmissions indestructible (well for the potential of the engines their attached to). Many gear ratios and final drive ratios available.(Only 3rd for the H transmission, same ratio stronger gear (n)).
G5MDS-SET - G-Series 1st~4th Dog Engagement Gearset - PAR Engineering

·
Registered
34 Posts

A turbocharged Citroen SM broke the land speed record for its class at Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah in 1987, going 202mph (325km/h), a record for a front wheel drive vehicle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A turbocharged Citroen SM broke the land speed record for its class at Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah in 1987, going 202mph (325km/h), a record for a front wheel drive vehicle.
Front-wheel-drive cars have the ability to go fast in a straight line, but there's only so much power you can add before the car becomes undriveable on the street. Fortunately, in runway racing, the cars don't need to turn. They just need to accelerate really, really fast. Just like this Acura Integra—which just became the world’s first front-drive car to break 200 mph in the standing half-mile.
Myles Kerr, the owner and driver of this Integra, has been after the 200-mph mark for at least two years. Here's Kerr and the teal Acura hitting 190 mph at the 2015 Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack. Back then the little two-door was pushing around 900 hp.
According to 1320video, Myles claimed the front-drive half-mile record with a 198-mph run last year, but that wasn’t enough. At this year’s Airstrip Attack, he finally broke the 200-mph barrier
This time, the turbocharged Integra ran 201.07 mph, eclipsing its previous speed and making it the fastest front-wheel-drive car ever in the half-mile.
Watch for yourself as the car flies down the runway.
This content is imported from YouTube. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io

WATCH NEXT
2022 Volkswagen Golf R Video Review

Play Video

Related Videos (20)
    • NOW WATCHING
      2022 Volkswagen Golf R Video Review
    • Ferrari 296GTB V-6 Hybrid Supercar Driven in Italy
    • Even at Low Speeds, The Ring Is Still Dangerous
    • A Close Look at the 2023 Nissan Z With Matt Farah
    • Video: Porsche GT4 E-Performance Track Test
    • C/D Drives the Audi RS Q e-tron
    • Our 2019 Tesla Model 3 Was a Learning Experience
    • Is This the Last Subaru WRX as We Know It?
    • The State of the BMW M3
    • We Modified Our Model 3 to Go Drifting on Ice
    • Video: Porsche GT4 RS Sounds Like a Hornet’s Nest
    • How Good Is the Rivian R1T's Suspension?
    • 2024 Volkswagen ID.Buzz Revealed
    • Watch Our 2022 Honda Civic Si Video Review
    • We Play Front-Seat XBox in the 2022 Grand Cherokee
    • 2021 Acura TLX Type S at Lightning Lap
    • 2022 Bentley Continental GT Speed at Lightning Lap
    • 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing at Lightning Lap
    • 2021 Porsche Panamera Turbo S at Lightning Lap
    • 2022 Volkswagen Golf R at Lightning Lap

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Front-wheel-drive cars have the ability to go fast in a straight line, but there's only so much power you can add before the car becomes undriveable on the street. Fortunately, in runway racing, the cars don't need to turn. They just need to accelerate really, really fast. Just like this Acura Integra—which just became the world’s first front-drive car to break 200 mph in the standing half-mile.
Myles Kerr, the owner and driver of this Integra, has been after the 200-mph mark for at least two years. Here's Kerr and the teal Acura
Although this is interesting info I will disagree with you, like any fast modified car there is only so much throttle you can give it before it becomes undriveable on the streets. All cars handling is limited by it;s suspension, handling and aerodynamics. I have beat many 500 + hpr rwd and awd cars on winding roads and they claim I won because I have front wheel drive if I had more power it would have required less throttle in the corners and I would have been faster in the straight aways and still won.

Did the Intgra run a left side mounted transmission and was it factory available?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts