Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i'm still trying to figure out what's going on with my car, it's an 88' with the automatic tranny, and when i put it in drive it has like no power i can put the gas to the floor and the car moves but it accelerates really slow, and holds like 4000 rpms at 70 mph. i already checked the fluid and it is fine and i also adjusted the chift linkage in the console with no luck. Any guidance on what i should do next would greatly be appreciated. And no i am not going to go to a manual, i would like to keep hte auto. does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have the tranny rebuilt? Thanks alot!

p.s. i have a bad driver side drive axle could this possibly have something to do with my problem? the boot on the end of the axle has been torn for like 6 months and hasn't had grease in it for a while, also it just recently started making a really loud noise at all times while driving. i will be replacing it pronto.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also the tranny fluid was almost like oil colored when i checked it, what does this mean?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
somebody's gotta have some ideas!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I think most of the time tranny fluid is red, so it's probably time for a change. Although that wouldn't affect the power, just the shifting..... The power could be a number of things. Whens the last time you had a tune up? Any other symptoms? Hows the engine sound, maybe you aren't running on all 4 cylinders. Blown headgasket? I'm just shooting out ideas, I'm sure others can help you too, but more specific symptoms would help too.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
cmansturbomx6 said:
also the tranny fluid was almost like oil colored when i checked it, what does this mean?
Either someone put engine oil in your transmission or your transmission is on it's way out. Over time, you're transmission fluid will turn darker and eventually black if you let it go that long. Sounds like you are burning something up (not too familiar with transmission terminology).

My first car I bought was an '86 Oldsmobile Cutless Ciera (2.8 2 bbl). It was slow as [shizzle] and revved extremely high in between shifts. I checked the tranny fluid and it was black. Changed the tranny fluid/filter and it shifted normally afterwards. About 3 months later, it started slipping...I drove it for an entire year slipping and eventually the car would shake violently under cruise. Eventually the tranny shat itself.

A good temporary band-aid fix would probably be to change out your transmission fluid and filter. Sounds like your transmission is slipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts