Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

No Biggie BUT.......Bulb Behind Light Dimmer Out

767 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Stage36 
#1 ·
Hey All, On the light dimmer switch just left to the steering wheel on my 93 MX-6 has seemed to burn out!! I was wondering how to replace this! Does the switch pop out somehow and what tools do I need to do this!! Thanks dudes...and dudettes!

#2 ·
I think, don't quote me on this, but I think the bulbs on the switches are incorporated into the switch itself. meaning that you cannot replace it. I think they're a welded in LED or something. I have one out but haven't investigated this yet. You might have to replace the entire switch.

#3 ·
JPMX6GT said:
I think they're a welded in LED or something.
being the electronics buff i am, i got a kick out of this one... anywsays, theyre SOLDERED in, and im not sure how hard they are to replace. im trying to find blue ones and do my entire dash with them. to get the switch off, you have to pull off the dash and then unhook the harness that is connected to given switch. there are squeezy things on the top and bottom of the switch housing that release the switch to the front of the dash panel. you can then take a look at the switch, disassemble it and decide for yourself...

#4 ·
I've recently looked at the bulb in my rear defog switch (next to the dimmer switch), which I wanted to replace. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to remove the switch properly and ended up breaking the spring mechanism trying to pop the front off, rendering this switch completely useless :mad:. After correctly removeing the switch from behind the dash, I dismanteled the switch by removing a tiny screw or two and then poping off the circuit board. There is a tiny light (smaller than a standard LED) mounted to the bottom of the circut board. It is attached to a tiny plastic 'socket' that is easily removed from the circuit board with a quarter turn. I have no idea where you could find a bulb, or bulb with socket as a replacement.
Now, anyone know where I can find a replacement defog switch? My local wrecker wants $35 for one :eek:.

Also, does anyone know how to replace the lights behind the HVAC controll buttons?

#6 ·
JspecMX-6 said:
$35 aint bad...i think mazda wants $160+
Holy B-jesus! $160 for a switch... I think I'll leave it alone... Has anyone tried http://www.mazdarecycling.com ? They're pretty good at barganing.... tell them you can find it for $20 beans at a local junk yard.. they'll give you a better price...

#7 ·
JPMX6GT said:
Holy B-jesus! $160 for a switch... I think I'll leave it alone... Has anyone tried http://www.mazdarecycling.com? They're pretty good at barganing.... tell them you can find it for $20 beans at a local junk yard.. they'll give you a better price...
$160 can't be right :eek:. I've tried mazdarecycling.com twice now. The 1st time they replied to my request and said they didn't have the part in stock, which I find suprising considering the number of wrecked Mazda's they have. I still have no reply to my second request which was made about a week ago.

Does anyone know if other models of Mazda's (626, MX3,1st gen MX6, protege, etc?) use the same switchs, so I have some more options of wrecked cars to look at?

[Edited by Mike 93LS on 02-26-2001 at 03:18 PM]

G
#8 ·
Yes, I have a 626, and the switches are the same...you can get them out of a 626, or MX6.
Also, the lights are replaceable, I replaced one in my rear defogger switch, and two in my A/C control panel. I just went to a local junkyard, and scrounged through some of the crs that still had dashes, and pulled the bulbs out, and a few of the plastic pop thingies that fit in the dash. Anyways, they let me walk out with them for nothing. So small I guess. However, the A/C panel itself or switch would have cost.
Good luck!!!

#9 ·
Mike 93LS said:

$160 can't be right :eek:.
its gotta be somewhere around there... when i first got my PIAA's, i wanted to hook them up to a factory fog light switch... the dealership told me that it would be $164.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.