Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok about two weeks ago i was driving home from work... and all the lights were slowly dimming, and by the time i got home i could hardly roll my windows up.... now mind you this is a new battery... so i bought an alternator off of Flysway. put the new/used alternator in, jump started the car, let it idle for about 20 min. drove for about 30 min... in this time i had started and stopped so the starter did work during this time.. but again on the way home from my buddys, lights dimmed, and now wont start...

Can somethin be wrong with my car, it seems like im frying alternators?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Did you fully charge the battery (with a battery charger) before you installed the alternator? There's a chance that a good alternator can be fried if you simply install it and jump the car to start it.

The next thing to check is that the alternator connections are all tight. There are two: one is a 10mm bolt (this wire is connected directly to the battery), the other is a plastic plug connector for the internal voltage regulator and the warning light in the dash. Make sure it's all plugged in and tightened down good.

It would be best if you took a voltage reading at the battery when the car is 1) at idle and 2) with the ignition off. 1) should be 14.4 volts and 2) should be 12.6 volts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i did jumpstart it.... how can you really fry it.. we do it all the time at work... jump dead batterys witha jump box and just let them charge... im pretty sure i connected everything right.. but im gonna go check the voltage.

·
Registered
238 Posts
"Sold" you a used altenator?!?! Man, some poeple are just waiting for suckers. I coulda got it to you for the price of U.S.P.S. shipping.

"I'll sell you some used junk I'm not using. I didn't mean anything to me before and it was takin up space, but since you want it, I guess it has a price now".

What a shame.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dunno.. 20 bucks for an alternator that has 2000 miles on it.. band new not rebuilt.. sounds like a steal to me considdering a replacement even with a dealership discount is $120. i guess i don't get car parts for free on a regular basis.

And thanks Magic8 I got it working again... the plug wiggled its way loose.. but now it works like a champ :)

G

·
Darion said:
"Sold" you a used altenator?!?! Man, some poeple are just waiting for suckers. I coulda got it to you for the price of U.S.P.S. shipping.

"I'll sell you some used junk I'm not using. I didn't mean anything to me before and it was takin up space, but since you want it, I guess it has a price now".

What a shame.
Darion, this was an alternator in excellent condition (Shiny with the exception of a little belt dust) and less than 2000 miles on it. I wouldn't sell the stock one out of my car, that would have been stupid.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Always nice to get a rise out of ya Flyswat. Lets me know yer alive. :D

What kind of seat and what color? Seats are rather large and my guy wouldn't be able to just let me waltz through the line like he does with smaller stuff. Seats cost $15. And remember, it's a junkyard, so it will need to be steam cleaned.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
natedawg191 said:
And thanks Magic8 I got it working again... the plug wiggled its way loose.. but now it works like a champ :)
Good to know you got it fixed. However, make sure that wiring harness plug isn't broken. It should "snap" into the alternator. If it doesn't "snap" in and stay in tight you might have to splice in a new connector (I had to to this on my old DX).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts