Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, but..

I heard you neededd to replace a part that was smaller to make the govern..i dunno but thanx

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just keep in mind, De-governing your car holds some hefty fines if caught. Although the only way they will catch you is if you were going 135+ mph, which then you will probably have bigger problems anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The 134 top speed but at that speed the rpm is past peak hp. The car, unless modded to have power in the 6500+ rpm range, i doubt it would do much better. Maybe 140 ... or even more if going downhill

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
A 2G PGT/MX6-V6 is good for about 135MPH flat out, ungoverned. I don't think a car with the same body (i.e. same air resistance) but 45-50HP less (i.e. 2.0L versus 2.5L) is going achieve speeds in that range. Perhaps 120, maybe 125 with a tail wind.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
PHAT6 said:
132 mph is what my four cyl max out at.
Measured by radar, a calibrated speedometer or traps or by the speedo in the dash?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Top Speed

I have a 1993 MX-6 LS ATX and it is stock excpet for the intake.
I maxed it out at 140 at about 6grand rpm. Is that possible? I havent done anything to the governer.
THanks
Zack

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
no...not possible. the 5spd usually doesnt even make it to 140, let alone the auto. it certainly doesnt do it a 6KRPM...

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
MazdaPower said:
hey guys, my 95 ls's max is 120 thats on 5th gear and at around 7k rpm...how come u guyz can go up to 135? that sucks for me!!!!!! uhm well not to mention its a swap plus i have to bad o2 sensors, right and left...would that have to do with my max accel?
There's something wrong. With the MTX gearing (0.795:1 5th gear, 4.105:1 axle ratio), the MX6 V6 should be travelling more like 145-ish MPH assuming it could actually manage 7000RPM in 5th gear (which it can't, not stock anyway.) If you really did see 7000RPM in 5th gear and only 120MPH then either your speedometer is really, really far off or your clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
err, we have a governor?

I think someone must have messed with mine already. According to my speedo I was doing 136 in 5th gear (slight downhill incline) at about 6500 rpm. I didn't push it anymore than that cos i don't trust our little cars' handling/weight ratio at that speed. It was on 190 in Taylor, TX. Man i love that road, straight as an arrow, harldy any side roads for idiots to pull out at you from. I managed to do Denton (North of Dallas) to Austin in about 2 1/2 hours that morning. Did all models have governors? I have a 1994 LX (Yep, not LS, LX! Strange huh?)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts