Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
89 MX6 N/A

This is my co-worker's car. He said he wasn't getting spark.

So I pulled a plug and there was in fact no spark.

So I check the dizzy cap & rotor/wires. All were new (less than 2K miles)

No spark coming from the coil.

So I test the coil with my ohm meter and its bad. So run to advance auto and pick one up for $25. It tests good (I've had bad luck with non-OEM coils from parts stores in the past).

Put the new coil in and STILL no spark.

I take the ignition control module out of the distributor and take it to autozone and they test it and say it is OK.

Only thing left is the crank position sensor right? Now I'm pretty sure it uses a magnetic hall effect sensor correct? I know its not an optical type.
I can't find any testing procedures for it. There is only two wires going to the distributor (The blue and the black) which go straight to the coil (or so I think)

Does anyone have any recommendations for testing the pickup? I have of course checked the EGI fuse and it is good.

Thanks for your help!
Jonathan

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would start by checking all grounds first.

I would then check the coil again and make sure that is within .77-.95 ohms (at 68 degrees F)
Next would be to test the pickup coil in the distributor. (between 900-1200 ohms)
Then you could check all wiring to the distributor and coil.

Thats all i got.

·
Vendor
570 Posts
They're a variable reluctor, not a Hall effect. The resistance check Gotboost mentioned is a good one; the next thing you could try is taking out the distributor and spinning the distributor by hand. This should give you a low AC voltage coming out of the pick up coil.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The most common problem with the N/A's that I have found with no spark is the distributor. Try replacing it with one from the junkyard (so you dont waste alot of money if it turns out to be something else).

But really its the only thing left. You have new cap, rotor and wires...new coil....if you are getting power to the coil, then its obvious that its not getting signal to fire....signal to fire comes from the disty...

Hope you figure it out...good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts