Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok Ive got an 86 GT turbo, and its got NO INTERCOOLER!!!! wtf? it goes, intake box, turbo, then straight up to the manifold. any ideas on what I could do to add an intercooler to it? I dont wanna ghetto it up, but The dynamics of the piping astounds me, I cant figure out what kind of intercooler id run, where id run it or what. MI contimplating a top V mount intercoolermounted right before the TB LOL and then cutting a whole in my hood and have it sticking right out the bitch. Any sudjestions Ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ummm did the 86 even come with ICs? sorry I know dick about these cars, and why would I use a stock IC when I have 3 sitting in my basement for silvias, and supras... the supra one is way to beefy but I think the 240sx side mounts would work well, I just cant figure out where to mount it. and if I did mount it, what kind of piping bends would I use? Cause I would have to have a U pipe coming right off the turbo to mount it in the front, or id have to have some really shitty long tubing to mount it in the side....

How was the stock one setup?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well soon as I get my camera back from my sis ill show you what im talking about with the intercoolers I have. also, the easiest thing I can think to do would be the top mount.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Panther37 said:
Wouldn't an intercooler improve performance?
no because it adds weight and weight reduction is like the fastest mod ever and reduces quarter mile time by like 400 seconds.... lmao yeah id assume it improves performance since it lowers the intake charge temp

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Mazda4ever said:
no because it adds weight and weight reduction is like the fastest mod ever and reduces quarter mile time by like 400 seconds.... lmao yeah id assume it improves performance since it lowers the intake charge temp
ROFL

go with IC, yeh there is actually a point in having it on there

·
Registered
447 Posts
what about running methanol injection instead of spending all the time and money to make intercooler piping for a front mount. methanol injection systems work just about as well, and you can get systems for around 300 bucks. best part is, they only need washer fluid rated for 20 degrees F or lower.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
or you can be not lazy and rig up some pipes. lol messing with ya, tell me you rather want washer fluid being burned? or just some naturally cooled air?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
FYI, the stock MX6 GT Intercooler is an 'upgrade' to the silvia's sidemounts.

and about the methanol injection....because the methanol/water mix cools down the water more effectively than an IC could ever think of doing. also as an added benefit, i believe the methanol injection actually raises the octane rating of the fuel you are using (at least I read that somewhere...i'll find it as edit my post)

Link: http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/icar_resourcecenter_encyclopedia_fuels1.asp

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
But the question is....WHY?.If you plaing on running stock turbo/stock boost then you dont need the intercooler.You actually get better performance of without the intercooler.
1. the intercooler will slow your turbo responce down due to having to go through an intercooler and extra pipe which in turn cause more lag and pressure drop. unless you running a great amount of boost then then worry about it.same with methanol/water injector.Unless you running a lot more than a peak 6 psi the turbo create then you dont need this unit also.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
how much lag can you have when the turbo is fully spooled halfway through second gear? and it's not like he's going to be putting on a 36"x12"x3" FMIC on...just a stock intercooler from a silvia, which is SMALLER than the MX6 1g's. He's going to have maybe a 0.5-1.0 psi drop if he sticks with the stock size piping.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
ademan said:
But the question is....WHY?.If you plaing on running stock turbo/stock boost then you dont need the intercooler.
The bottom line is that this 2.0 SOHC 8V engine has run since 1986 with no intercooler whatsoever, with the basically the same turbo as the MX6 uses.

Before you start worrying about "upgrading" or "alcohol injection" or "top mount intercooler" start with a compression test to find out if you money will even be worth spending in the first place. If you don't you'll definately send that relic into the grave, intercooled or not.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Here we go with the compression test, again haha. Just kidding Sick. Yeah, make sure the car is in good mechanical shape before deciding to upgrade. If you do however want to add an intercooler....maybe you could just run the same piping setup as our 88-92 GT's?? Im not really sure how the 86's are laid out, other than what the crappy Haynes has to tell me.

*EDIT* IIRC, doesn't the intake face towards the front of the car?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts