Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the original transmission failing because of a shops error, I had ordered a transmission from a salvage yard. They get it in and I find out, no reverse. Tired of not having my car, I took it like that. 5th works fine. All other gears work fine and no clutch problems ( new clutch, reverse worked in first trans after changed) and newish slave cylinder.It wont go into reverse at all. How would you recommend me approaching this, and what is the most likely culprit. I've tried searching the forums. I'm guessing this doesn't happen much to our transmissions. GT btw. And if it takes me a while to respond I'm sorry. Lifes kept me very busy.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
If the shifter wont go into the reverse position it's probably the shift gate reverse lever, it is there to prevent accidental shifts from 5th to reverse.
Try putting it in 1st then reverse, try putting it in reverse with the car moving slowly backwards and slowly forwards (with engine running and off).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried doing that already many times. Its actually been like this for a year. Could that have possibly been damaged? And is there a way to physically get to that mechanism?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I've tried doing that already many times. Its actually been like this for a year. Could that have possibly been damaged? And is there a way to physically get to that mechanism?
Yes it could have been damaged or seized closed, you can get to it but it involves disassembling the transmission.

I have spare shift gates in good working condition, but your old transmission is a good source for parts, you should keep the differential/ whole thing as a spare for parts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How far in the transmission are we talking? I just did replaced my head today and I can have my car sit if I need to. I'm not very familiar with the transmission yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts