Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what can cause a 93 mx6 w/2.5 v6 not to have spark at plugs, and will not show any codes, and check engine light acts normal, it comes on when started then turns off, and when paper clipped to show codes, after driving it around block 2 times and up the road, it is throwing no codes? What in the world is possibly wrong,in beginning it ran great then after turning off, 2 weeks ago.when restarted, it ran on 5 cylinders , it felt like, then got it home and it would start but run badly, put new battery in and drove it around corner , but it ran worse then shut off, tried to restart, now it just turns over, not starting and no codes, I am asking for any help, I am lost here, and need guidance.Thank you for any help.Dave H.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am wondering what can cause a 93 mx6 w/2.5 v6 not to have spark at plugs, and will not show any codes, and check engine light acts normal, it comes on when started then turns off, and when paper clipped to show codes, after driving it around block 2 times and up the road, it is throwing no codes? What in the world is possibly wrong,in beginning it ran great then after turning off, 2 weeks ago.when restarted, it ran on 5 cylinders , it felt like, then got it home and it would start but run badly, put new battery in and drove it around corner , but it ran worse then shut off, tried to restart, now it just turns over, not starting and no codes, I am asking for any help, I am lost here, and need guidance.Thank you for any help.Dave H.
distributor/igniter on these cars are notorious for failing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It is quite easy to check the timing on these cars with a timing light. Also you can check for 12v power up to the distributor.
If you have power then you can test for spark at a spark plug. If you have power, but no spark, likely a distributor issue.
Also sometimes the wires can get old and shorted near the distributor. Look at those wires to see if there is any issue with them, insulation off some, etc. Be careful working around the distributor, it is high voltage. You should not be handling anything around the distributor if power is on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is quite easy to check the timing on these cars with a timing light. Also you can check for 12v power up to the distributor.
If you have power then you can test for spark at a spark plug. If you have power, but no spark, likely a distributor issue.
Also sometimes the wires can get old and shorted near the distributor. Look at those wires to see if there is any issue with them, insulation off some, etc. Be careful working around the distributor, it is high voltage. You should not be handling anything around the distributor if power is on.
My problem is I have no kids at home, ex wife has left due to illness, so I have to do everything by myself, so I am not getting spark to plugs,as I set my ignition tester to show voltage and turned car over , no light or sound from tool, have new 10 year warranted ICU/coil on its way,and lifetime warranted pcm/brain on its way, so if those 2 don't work, I will keep going, as I am giving this car to step grandson, for graduation, it is perfect leather interior and good body with 117 on clock, so it should be running soon, will keep listing progress Thank You Dave H

1 - 4 of 4 Posts