Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just bought an 86 626 GT turbo 2 door, with the digi dash, sunroof and recaros. the engine turns over fine but its not getting any spark. zi traced it back to the coil. Im gonna try swapping out the coil and see if that helps, is there anything else I should check? anything else it could be if it isnt the coil?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Are you ghetting a signal to the coil,It msy not be the coil,but If you want to try,just to rule it out thats fine.I'm actually having the same problem.I tried a known good coil/ignitor,ECU,but nothing.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not sure if it's the same for an '86, but on my '88 I didn't get any spark because of a relay on the firewall. I just pulled them all and tested for resistance and the one that was screwy was taken apart to find it completely fried. "new" one from a junkyard --> I got spark --> it fired right up.

By the way, this probably belongs in the first gen general section, I'll let panther know so he can move it... Also, the search button is your friend :tup:

-Todd

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
88626gt said:
Not sure if it's the same for an '86, but on my '88 I didn't get any spark because of a relay on the firewall. I just pulled them all and tested for resistance and the one that was screwy was taken apart to find it completely fried. "new" one from a junkyard --> I got spark --> it fired right up.

By the way, this probably belongs in the first gen general section, I'll let panther know so he can move it... Also, the search button is your friend :tup:

-Todd
Thanks Todd.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I don't know if many people here will be much help - the 86-87 2.0L turbo engines were a different animal from the 88-92 2.2L turbo. I don't even know if the ignition system is even remotely the same between the two. 88-92 have an ignition system completely controlled by the car's ECU, I doubt 86-87 has this but I am not sure.

·
Registered
457 Posts
dude it honestly might not be anything wrong at all. mine did that new years eve day when i came outside to go get breakfast. ran fine the night before, then wouldnt start the next morning. swapped out the igniter and coil with 2 each known good ones, and it didnt do anything. it sat for about 3 days, stumping me, then i went to start it up for fun to see if anything happened, and it started right up. its run fine ever since.

maybe while swapping all that stuff i got rid of some corrosion on plug wires, igniter wires, coil itself, who knows. freaky thing though...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, Thanks guys, MI gonna check that stuff, got some more questions though, where is my fricken fue box! I looked all over the interior of the car and couldnt find it!!!! also any pics on where the igniter location and the relay are you be helpful! I know absolutely dick about this car, it is a very strange animal....

·
Registered
341 Posts
Again, not sure if this is at all similar to your engine, but:

At the firewall behind that cover are a few relays, one of which gave me the no spark condition. The lower circle is where a few big fuses are located.

Keep looking for the fuse box inside the car though as it's always good to know where that is. It should be under the dash just to the left of where your feet go.

Also, the igniter for MY car is right next to the coil and it's a little square thing about 2.5" square maybe? Dunno, that's just from memory.... but again, not sure how yours is set up.

Hope that helped :tup:

-Todd

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you that did help. And my engine bay looks almost identicle to yours. which relay on the firewall was it? I dont have V meter to test mine with
so if you tell me which one to swap it would make life easier. also, as I dont have any local junk yards, are there any relays in the car I donjt need I could swap it with?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't remember exactly which one it was, but the outer cover on ours says what the relays are. There should be some numbers on the outside of the relay itself too... and when I replaced mine, i just grabbed one from a junkyard car that had the same numbers. I'm not positive, but I think that if there's another relay that has the same plug it would work, but I matched the numbers anyways.

I would highly recomend investing in a multi-meter though... it's one of those things you will use all the time and make your life SO much easier.

-Todd

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Keep in mind you're asking for advice on a car none of us own. We all have 88-92s here. On 88-92 the interior fusebox is found just where it was on your nissans and toyotas. Most people here have no clue about your '86 dinosaur. (no offense)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts