Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As u all know, i jush bought mah Mx6 LX MTX 1995, 127,000 miles. The engine was very quiet BUT NOW a week later the WEATHER CHANGES. It is very cold around the Boston area now. It even snowed n rain at the same time. So now wen i go start the car it shakes n makes more noises, rattlin noises. Wat is dat? how can i fix it or manage to take care of it before mah engine gets werse.

please help advise guys.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
That rattling noise you're hearing is most likely your HLA's. Does the noise go away when the engine warms up? HLA's (which stands for Hydraulic Lash Adjusters) are lifters in your engine. They make like a persistent clicking sound. this is a very common issue with mazda engines in that time frame. don't worry about it too much. They'll more than likely do that for 150,000 miles. :-D If it gets aggravating, try running some engine cleaner through your oil and change your oil. I recommend Mobile 1 synthetic.

Trent

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
supersaiyan93 said:
That rattling noise you're hearing is most likely your HLA's. Does the noise go away when the engine warms up? HLA's (which stands for Hydraulic Lash Adjusters) are lifters in your engine. They make like a persistent clicking sound. this is a very common issue with mazda engines in that time frame. don't worry about it too much. They'll more than likely do that for 150,000 miles. :-D If it gets aggravating, try running some engine cleaner through your oil and change your oil. I recommend Mobile 1 synthetic.

Trent
Seconded. Amsoil is also a VERY good option. Maybe even better then Mobil 1

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I might check the stuff said above since HLA's shouldn't cause the car to shake very much or at all.

And yeah Amsoil is much better than Mobil 1. Most people don't know this but Mobil one is a synthetic blend now, it is not a true 100% synthetic anymore. The only ones that are fully 100% synthetics off the top of my head are:

Amsoil
Redline
Royal Purple

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
if the car is shaking I would check your motor mounts. and any stablizers that are souposed to hold the engine steady.
Check your oil and see if its low.

Thats the best I can do with the limited information you gave us about your problem.

Methman

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
parisifal said:
I might check the stuff said above since HLA's shouldn't cause the car to shake very much or at all.

And yeah Amsoil is much better than Mobil 1. Most people don't know this but Mobil one is a synthetic blend now, it is not a true 100% synthetic anymore. The only ones that are fully 100% synthetics off the top of my head are:

Amsoil
Redline
Royal Purple
I thought Mobil 1 went back to 100% synthetic.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Did they?

The only stuff I see are the "newly formulated" Mobil 1, have not seen any information about them returning to full synthetic.

I still use them on occasion when I need to get something more readily available but I ususally use Redline anyways.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
parisifal said:
Did they?

The only stuff I see are the "newly formulated" Mobil 1, have not seen any information about them returning to full synthetic.

I still use them on occasion when I need to get something more readily available but I ususally use Redline anyways.
I'm pretty sure they are a full synthetic again now. (Maybe it's another brand I'm thinking of, but I doubt it.) I'll have to take a closer look the next time I pick up a bottle.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mobil 1 says "Fully Synthetic Motor Oil" right on the front of the bottle.
I currently have my doubts that it is "all that" for our engines. My V6 has 70K miles and has been on a strict diet of M1 5w30 for nearly it's entire life. HLA's have been noisy since I've owned it till last week when I had the timing belt changed with the water pump, tensioners, pulley bearings, and other belts. There was the slightest tic still audible until I poured in some AutoRx. After 50 miles I have never heard such a quiet set of HLA's on one of these cars. I changed to Pennzoil 5w30 for the duration of the treatment (at least the next 3500 miles). I run Pennzoil in my van and at 115K miles, it is quiet as a watch. Not too sure that Mobil 1 is worth $5 per quart if the HLA's are still clackin'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts